Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress relief, coping skills, and feeling better.  (Read 1531 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stress relief, coping skills, and feeling better.
« on: April 27, 2015, 12:54:29 am »

Hi.

Do you also think the world can be too mean? Stressed out, freaking out, anxious, etc?

I'm hoping to create a little thread about how to deal with that and discuss those things. What works for you?

Relaxation stuff?
I've heard yoga works well (I can't currently do that but wouldn't mind trying when/if I can).
Do you meditate or something? What do you think about? How do you do it?

How do you deal with stressful things?
Someone is being mean to you or acting inappropriate.
-If you can confront them: How do you best do it?
-If you can't confront them: How do you deal with that?
A stressful situation is occurring and you are afraid to face it. How do you deal with it?

Etc

It's kind of meant to be a skill building thing really

Rules:
1.) Please be nice to one another. Really. We're not trying to create stress. The opposite.
2.) Nothing inappropriate. NSFW or ... really I hope I don't have to explain this.
3.) I'm not sure exactly what to put here. Please don't make me have to put more rules.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Stress relief, coping skills, and feeling better.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:13 am »

Showering and napping.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:45 am »

Do you also think the world can be too mean?
Nah, it's not mean enough.

I'm hoping to create a little thread about how to deal with that and discuss those things. What works for you?
Exercise and CBT. There's about a thousand different things you can do, though. You want to pick something that doesn't weaken you in the long run.

Do you meditate or something? What do you think about? How do you do it?
Eh, sure. 20 mins of not thinking does wonders to clear out the mind. I find long walks do essentially the same thing though.

How do you deal with stressful things?
Someone is being mean to you or acting inappropriate.
-If you can confront them: How do you best do it?
-If you can't confront them: How do you deal with that?
A stressful situation is occurring and you are afraid to face it. How do you deal with it?
Always have a strategy to fall back on. Figure out what you're willing to put up with ahead of time so that you don't have to make decisions on the fly. Once you've made a decision, put all your doubts away. The easiest way to do this is to be willing to die for your decisions. It's really more pragmatic than morbid, though. You only get one life - don't waste it on fear and regrets.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:42:09 am »

Posting to watch. I need this.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:45:59 am »

Posting to watch this as well, 'specially since I seem to be always tense and/or stressed for no reason at all.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:22:57 am »

I tend to meditate by attempting to sleep with my eyes open; and be able to dream while still receiving info about the local environment around me. Much easier to do when looking out into the ocean or river, where it's less creepy for others to witness, or easier to not feel so self-conscious about doing so, because it would creep people out. It's a good way to have a waking dream, of sorts.

What ends up happening when I'm in that state is what I would compare to the Freak-a-Zone from Freakazoid (A subconscious place, unlike the more tangible Freak-a-Lair.). Of course, I tend to freeform it a bit more, so depending on my state of mind, it's either a dark cave of an environment like being in my room playing games or watching shows, to an open platform the size of a micro-playset floating in the local environs, with basically the same relative setup, more for wandering thoughts and such, or silently (though audibly in my head) making comments about what's going on, and maybe splitting my thoughts/personalities up a bit to mull over things in greater detail and discuss things further from other perspectives (or essentially, other versions of myself from other timelines, or entirely different split-personalities). Whatever. It's my head this is all happening in.

Just as well, I have a psychic computer interface setup in that freak-a-zone to sort my thoughts further, play (mix) music, or (re)play events or clips. Kinda comes handy when you're immobilized too in certain situations, like going to a dentist appointment. It can at least keep one busy while not doing much (kinda like how most people escape into their smartphones). Given the flexibility of the mindscape there, I can do all sorts of crap, mainly setting up plans for future projects and such; like playing with a sandbox or legos in my head (with far looser rules, so I can even go FMA, and transmute stuff on the spot), and develop some ideas, and test them out on the spot, before actually working on them in meatspace, or on a medium that can make it (art program or game). Hell, even have a sparring ground to at least mentally develop some fighting moves, or just let off some steam from my mind, where in the physical world, I wouldn't as likely get away with it, or have as much room, or go full-on "screw physics" with.

I think I developed this during school when I was far less social, and bored quite frequently. Started off as a music player in my head (since I lacked a CD player, and MP3 players weren't a thing yet; so I mentally developed my own), and it evolved from there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:25:21 am by Itnetlolor »

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 04:37:00 pm »

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »

I like to take long walks (several miles), but that isn't really possible for me anymore, due to wrecked knees.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 05:17:20 pm »

I've heard tales of things called "naps" and "full nights of sleep" but I can't say that I know what they are.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 06:50:46 pm »

Daydreaming works for me.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 08:54:49 pm »

I'm trying to learn how to do some of those things constructively. It's really hard sometimes.

Hey Caz what do you mean CBT? Cognitive behavioral therapy? I ... think the world is more than mean enough and don't really know how to respond to your statement that it isn't. Curious to hear what you mean I guess.

Itnetlolor your stuff seems interesting. I'm curious as to how that works some more I guess. I don't know if you'd be willing to share at all but if you would, then maybe that'd be cool. I get that it might be very personal, so if you'd rather not then that's cool too.

How do you make up your imaginary world thing? I'm not sure exactly how to describe it....

Naps sound cool, but yeah, I don't know if that's feasible sometimes.

Interested in hearing from some other people I guess.

As for me, I don't know. I'm sort of trying to deal with things by retreating into an imaginary world where I can have whatever I want in my own mind. I don't know, imaginary rewards, imaginary things I can do in imaginary places. That and just biting the bullet and forcing myself to do whatever I have to in the real world, sometimes promising myself neat things in my head as a "reward."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:06:35 pm by Transcendant »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 09:29:30 pm »

I usually play games... Maybe I'm just too young?
Playing portal was something that made me feel after acquiring the "doesn't care about anything anymore." syndrome.
Up until today I'm not very able to feel much of anything, but games always deliver me a feeling: happiness, sadness, anger... Whatever, they work, and this is something really nice for me.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 09:59:22 pm »

Itnetlolor your stuff seems interesting. I'm curious as to how that works some more I guess. I don't know if you'd be willing to share at all but if you would, then maybe that'd be cool. I get that it might be very personal, so if you'd rather not then that's cool too.

How do you make up your imaginary world thing? I'm not sure exactly how to describe it....

Naps sound cool, but yeah, I don't know if that's feasible sometimes.

Interested in hearing from some other people I guess.

As for me, I don't know. I'm sort of trying to deal with things by retreating into an imaginary world where I can have whatever I want in my own mind. I don't know, imaginary rewards, imaginary things I can do in imaginary places. That and just biting the bullet and forcing myself to do whatever I have to in the real world, sometimes promising myself neat things in my head as a "reward."
It's been a good while since I last had a real good grasp of it, and just recently been figuring out how I had it again (having the free time again, especially provided by my freelancing, definitely helps. Being the cool uncle of another generation also helps as well.). Best I could describe it would be, the capability to 'get high' by sheer willpower, complete with lucid hallucination control, with the only side-effect being determined by your self-conscious (e.g.-how weird you might look in front of others while using it).

Well, to sleep with your eyes open is a simple trick, stare into space, and imply your eyes to roll back as if they were going into a sleep mode; imply, but not do. We're not trying to freak people out by looking possessed, unless that's your aim. I guess, a simpler way to put it is: you know how when you're in the zone when reading a good book or something, it feels like you fall into a trance? Well, basically, it's not too different from doing that.

A real trick to pull off is maintaining that while being active, like really active, working out and the like (which can result in neat stuff if done right). Let your mind nap, while your body remains active, and your spirit aware, and you can take what I had previously, and take it to another level. That should allow for waking dreams to happen more frequently; but being lucid in that state is more like harnessing your imagination more actively, rather than just merely being aware of it. A common scene I was able to render was taking the layout of my house, and see it as the interior of a massive complex or ship, with the tile floor being visible city blocks, and wall hangings being different residential areas and the like, traffic areas being, well, traffic areas in a different context (no people crossing, but instead sky-traffic), and so on and so forth. Even stuff like an entertainment center, or the couch became massive industrial/military complexes. Get yourself a deck of cards, and some skill building card buildings (or whatever else you want), and add your own stuff while at it.

What I find ironic right now is that looking back on how I described it and experienced it in the past, wasn't this a natural function when we were kids? At least, when my imagination went on overdrive, I was able to see things I was able to read and project, plain as day; and it was as simple to operate as a mental light switch. It could even had been a precursor to psychic ability; never really delved any further than the aesthetic phase (like, just about anyone else with an, at least visual, imagination), since the thought never crossed my mind.

EDIT:
Don't look at your imagination (as worlds/tools/etc.) as a reward to earn, but a self-right. You don't earn what you already had since birth.

On that note, for some reason the show Muppet Babies comes to mind. I remember they did crazy shit with their imagination. Even crazier, in the show, they could interact with each others' imagination, and modify it as they see fit. Hell, any kid's show that had those features, it makes you wonder, are those kids freaking psychic or something?

EDIT EDIT:
I've fortunately had plenty of dreams recalling bits and pieces of it, and how it functioned and such. Hell, faces I haven't seen in eons have made their appearances as well (calling out to me, like old friends. Even cooler, it even appears some of them actually aged. Insane it makes me sound, I do wonder if there's more to certain 'imaginary friends' human and non/mon?). Look into the dream thread for some of the crazy stuff I've been through (like a pocket universe built like a Rubik's cube, except the rooms of this "house/'home' dimension" (like a central hub of sorts as well as living space) were the walls of the pocket-universe of the dream. More fun when you're cycling a track while someone's in a pool, just to screw with them (gravity is weird there. You can launch certain things, and certain fluids don't react to it, yet remain fluid; like the pool; yet you can play a 3-dimension game of basketball on a corner; you play on the walls as well as the floor, 3 hoops, 3 teams. 3 point shots are scored when shooting perpendicular to the target, not adjacent (2-points otherwise). Trickier gravity rules to work with).) made up the sides. To rotate/"operate" the *house* was through the use of it's positive-space counterpart, an actual Rubik's cube (comes with a will-based reset button; more for convenience reasons (visitors?), than admitting defeat; it can reload where you left off.).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:29:48 am by Itnetlolor »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:29 am »

Hey Caz what do you mean CBT? Cognitive behavioral therapy?

Yeah, it's great for people that haven't been brought up with a full deck of cards. Most of us haven't. Not sure why it's not a basic class alongside Maths and English.

I ... think the world is more than mean enough and don't really know how to respond to your statement that it isn't. Curious to hear what you mean I guess.

Just a counterpoint to your statement, really. Why is the world too mean? I don't think 'the world' promised anyone anything. Is it easier to feel hard done-by because you can feel righteous about it?

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 11:12:52 am »

Some neat stuff I never would have thought to post. Interesting. How does that pan out for you guys?

Caz: I don't want to accidentally come off as anything not nice or whatever. I am surprised by your questions though, really. I'm not gonna subject everybody to a long list of why the world is mean. I don't think anybody wants that here, and if they do, then it just seems like there's ton of that to be easily found without me dredging it up. Also, I don't think that would help anybody's stress levels.

Basically everybody seems stressed out to their wit's ends these days, and that's putting it mildly (insert reasons here to save time). The world doesn't need me or any of us adding to any of the bad stuff going on out there, so I'm gonna try not to do that. I might even manage it, who knows.

So for those of you out there who meditate or use guided imagery or I'm not even sure what to call it, is it the same locations all the time, some of the time or none of the time? I mean are there reoccurring areas and items, and people? It is kind of like a game world where there are defined locations or is it more or less sorta random? Do you have things you can do or have or use in there? Made up people you can talk to/hang out with? I dunno.

What ... what would you even have as that type of environment, like buildings and rooms, or like outside stuff like forests and fields and stuff? Do you, do you just sorta imagine the place where you are currently mentally or where you live or someplace you'd like to be but haven't been or aren't at now? Do you just sorta I dunno, pick some place you remember being and mentally go there again, or make it up or I don't know?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:44:59 am by Transcendant »