Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Torak's computer has been ressurected and given 100% He  (Read 8303 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Torak's computer has been ressurected and given 100% He
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

Yep, figured as much.  Something got wacked out by the power tweaking.

I'll see if my dad knows of anything that might be of help, but in the meantime I recommend you invest in an uninterruptable power supply (UPS, which should be pronounced "oops", due to its use).  That'll give you some time to save off your data in the event of further power experiments.  Some sort of auxiliary power source that'll kick in when the main supply goes out is basically all you need to prevent this kind of thing, I don't know what all they've got aside from UPS's.  Getting a UPS might be pretty damn expensive though, so you might want to consider looking for alternatives.  I've got one here, but stuff in India tends to be a bit less expensive.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

Alright, new information: Running Media Player sends my harddrive into hyperdrive, being loud, sounding almost like it's about to explode. When I exit out, it goes back to normal..
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 03:47:00 am »

This happened to my computer once.
Except instead of loading and giving a bunch of errors, it loaded onto the desktop and then instantly rebooted.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

I fixed my computer by running "sfc /scannow".
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

Whee!
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

Wonderful!  Never a good thing to have a rig run down...

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

Good to hear that it was just a system file error and so easily fixed. Usually any kind of system file corruption forces me to nuke and reinstall.

Regardless i would advise running Memtest86+ it is a memory testing program that works of a live cd or a floppy. Just boot of it and let it run two or three times, or overnight.

I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »

Congrats on a successful save.
Pages: 1 2 [3]