Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19313 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2015, 12:21:46 pm »

Hackmaster is vaguely on my list of games to pick up if I see them at my usual used gaming spots.

I'm more confused than ever about what to pick up, however. I don't really care for owning the original parody version initiated by Knights of the Dinner Table. Online sources indicate that that is the first edition released (conveniently named Fourth Edition), while other sources say that's only a semi-prerelease thing and it's actually using Kingdoms of Kalamar. Yet more sources say KoK is coming in some vague future 5e.
You can download the basic version from their website to check it out yourself.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »

Hackmaster is vaguely on my list of games to pick up if I see them at my usual used gaming spots.

I'm more confused than ever about what to pick up, however. I don't really care for owning the original parody version initiated by Knights of the Dinner Table. Online sources indicate that that is the first edition released (conveniently named Fourth Edition), while other sources say that's only a semi-prerelease thing and it's actually using Kingdoms of Kalamar. Yet more sources say KoK is coming in some vague future 5e.
You can download the basic version from their website to check it out yourself.
HM Basic is... well the game master's guide isn't even out yet so its very hard to play. There are some really important rules and things in the gmg which nobody knows yet. That's why I'm using 4th. (That and the huge variety of stuff out for 4th)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2015, 02:38:28 pm »

IIRC the latest hackmaster isn't like the original D&D, which really ruins the joke.

I own 4th I think.  I'd try to play it if the monster manual equivalent wasn't broken up between like ten books.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2015, 05:32:04 pm »

IIRC the latest hackmaster isn't like the original D&D, which really ruins the joke.

I own 4th I think.  I'd try to play it if the monster manual equivalent wasn't broken up between like ten books.
Each book covers a specific letter range so its actually pretty easy to find things. Like you want stats on a goat? Find book with the G's.

Or do you mean its expensive to buy them all? I just downloaded the PDFs because nobody I know anywhere sells them any more.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »

So my first session was a "success." Due to my brilliant idea that we should meet at a Mediterranean place beforehand (can be taken at face value or sarcastically, either works), we didn't actually start character creation until 8:00. That gave us two hours, some of which consisted of distractions. It's their first time at my apartment, so that's to be expected. I have to admit, it's a bit of a swanky pad right in the heart of ethnic food central. After cats and then rummaging through my board, video, and role-playing game collections as well as my box of vinyl, we made some drinks and sat down to some chargen.

The chargen could definitely have been handled better - GURPS can be overwhelming if you've never used it. As such, we sat one-on-one at my desktop to run through some templates for Dungeon Fantasy classes and races.

Turns out my wife has the most mundane character. Thus far we have her catgirl ninja, an elder-spawn demonologist, a pixie shaman, a dark one wizard (soon to be rebuilt as a mentalist - think D&D psion), and an upcoming sea elf swashbuckler. The pixie is pretty much the group's conscience, so most of her time will probably be spent perched on the demonologist's shoulder shouting into his ear.

I await with bated breath our future sessions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2015, 01:39:23 pm »

One thing I find amusing about D&D is that bards can be almpst as good healers as clerics.

So if you get injured you can go see Doctor Dre.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2015, 12:35:01 am »

Particularly if they're a Divine Bard, the variant class in the SRD.  Basically identical to bards except they need a minimal amount of wisdom, and they can add any of:
0—create water, cure minor wounds; 1st—detect evil/good/law, protection from evil/good/law; 2nd—consecrate, desecrate, gentle repose; 3rd—magic circle against evil/good/law, prayer; 4th—remove disease, speak with dead, sending; 5th—divination, restoration; 6th—commune, hallow, unhallow, raise dead.

Bonus spells *and* save DCs are still based on Charisma, unlike Favored Souls for example.  And since their magic is somehow divine, they're exempt from specifically-arcane spell component requirements.  Though that does suck for scrying...  Clerics have to use a "font" of holy water, which is unspecified but presumably heavy, whereas arcane spellcasters get to use a portable mirror.

Also, this DND 3.5e rant is probably more appropriate here than in the WTF thread...  Basically some generous houseruling leading to crazy power creep, also some whining:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2015, 01:30:20 am »

Heh, that's pretty crazy. I mean, I understand the concept of buffing fighters so they aren't so weak relative to casters but that just seems like he is going over way over board.
Love, scriver~

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2015, 02:38:16 am »

Hey, figured i'd post in this tread. I'm looking to ask about two things

First, dming pathfinder. running a premade adventure. how hard is it? assuming i familiarize myself with the rules, and the adventure again before running.
Second, woudl anyone here be down for some kinda play by post rpg game? Like, idk, i'm itching for something, perhaps mongoose traveler?

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2015, 01:22:54 pm »

Hey friends!

So, I'm introducing myself to tabletop RPG (and I'm super excited with this particularly with Pathfinder begginer box, should I buy it?)
Do you know something about this?
I have another question: hOW can I convince my 2 friends playing this ?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:27:16 pm by pondicherry »
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »

Hey, figured i'd post in this tread. I'm looking to ask about two things

First, dming pathfinder. running a premade adventure. how hard is it? assuming i familiarize myself with the rules, and the adventure again before running.
Second, woudl anyone here be down for some kinda play by post rpg game? Like, idk, i'm itching for something, perhaps mongoose traveler?

Premade adventures usually aren't too hard to run.  You shouldn't feel discouraged to modify the adventure, though, in case it becomes too hard or somehow the players get lost or something.  The CR system can be a little wonky.  Most of the 1st level adventures can't be that complicated though.

I'd be game for a traveler game, but I don't have access to the core book at the moment.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]