Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modify Current Creatures with Seperate files  (Read 854 times)

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
Modify Current Creatures with Seperate files
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:47:05 pm »

Hi guys, I've recently tried my hand at editing raws with varying amounts of success, but I have a question.  Let's say I want to modify the dwarves, say like add a custom caste.  My question is, is it possible to have a seperate file that can do that? Or do I have to go into the original raw and edit it in?  I don't have a full understanding of the limitations of the file system, so I was hoping someone could explain if this is possible or not.

My main reason for this is simplicity's sake.  It's easier for me to have a separate file than digging through the original raw to make some minor edits.  But I know that having duplicates of creatures is bad and causes errors.  I could make a full copy of the original raw and edit it, but I don't want to have to nitpick with minor changes between updates (though I don't actually know how often toady updates raws, or if they change much between updates if at all).  I'm still new to this, so my knowledge is relatively limited.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Modify Current Creatures with Seperate files
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 10:48:00 pm »

You can remove the DWARF creature from the original files and put it into another file, a new one if you like.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:53:46 pm »

That is an option, but I was curious if it was at all possible to just have minor edits to an original creature in a separate file and have it still apply to that creature.

Otherwise, I was probably just going to have to create a race that's a copy of the dwarves with different names and have my edits in there.  How often are there updates/changes in the raws when the game is updated?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 11:43:15 pm »

You can do that using APPLY_CREATURE_VARIANT, but you'd need to add one line to the original creature, and than do your other changes in your external file. Check the wiki and your c_variation_default.txt for examples.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:11:06 am »

Checked it out real quick and it seems slightly complicated, but is probably the closest thing to doing what I want, thanks for the help.  :D