Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]

Author Topic: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time  (Read 73649 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval II, Total War in general, discussion time
« Reply #735 on: September 23, 2014, 12:23:07 am »

I've played 20 or 30 hours, at least, of M:TW II and didn't know you could merge stacks.  This changes my whole world.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 05, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »

I now understand why the AI keeps attacking me with loads of empty stacks.

it was you

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 05, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »

I think that FOTS is my favourite TW game so far - I don't play with mods so I don't know about which of those to recommend. I'd definitely advise going with one later than Napoleon so you have the replenishment game mechanic that cuts down a lot of micro.
Not sure if FOTS is the most historical though - in general TW games are about picking your faction and then conquering the map so they're less historical than Paradox titles.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 05, 2014, 05:44:08 pm »

Not sure if FOTS is the most historical though - in general TW games are about picking your faction and then conquering the map so they're less historical than Paradox titles.

They're not really historical at all. Empire has you researching technology that had been commonplace for decades/ a century before the time period, Rome has chariots etc. And they all present an extremely simplified map of the time period. They're less about being accurate and more about just conquering the world.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 06, 2014, 12:25:53 am »

Well, then. I've become rather disenchanted with CKII and EU4, so...

What Total War games do you recommend, and with what mods? Specifically, I want history- there should at least be some chance of either replicating history or working against it. My experience with Total War games was... Medieval 2 (I think... I don't even remember much of the game since I was 7 at the time) and Empire. Computer can run anything you throw at it, so specs are no issue.

I find that Medieval 2 is the best of the total war games as it stands, with the still active mod community and large selection of mods already released you should be able to find something to wet your whistle. Europa Barbarorum 2 is still rather early but it will be about as historical as you can get in a total war.  I dunno the status of Dominion of the Sword but that was looking rather awesome for a medieval era mod on the level of the EB team's effort.  There is of course Stainless Steel which is a pure "Lets take medieval 2 and make it better every way we can" mod and Third Age total war which is a quite impressive Lord of the Rings mod.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 06, 2014, 02:11:24 am »

I like rome tw because the civilized vs barbarians setting

I need to try the new rome ii after patches, I didn't like much at release time but they all say it is now better

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 07, 2014, 03:34:31 pm »

yes...it is much much better than it was...

release was more like beta...emperor edition is more like an actual release state

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:59 pm »

BAM. NECROMANCY.

Guys, China Total War is going to be a thing! It's going to be called Oriental Empires and made by another studio, though helmed by guys who worked on Total War. Specifically Medieval II: Total War.

I'm quite hyped. It looks like it borrowed a few cues (more like blatantly copied) from RoTK but that's fine by me! RoTK is a great game that Koei seems to hate these days so screw them.

Info here: http://www.incgamers.com/2015/04/oriental-empires-is-a-4x-from-former-total-war-devs

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »

That looks cool enough to get its' own thread. DO IT NOW.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 17, 2015, 05:37:27 pm »

+1 will PTW
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]