Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 1156 times)

Megawott06

• Bay Watcher
  • A dorfy Dewott.
    • View Profile
Pets
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:59:01 pm »

I have a quick question. How does the [PET] tag actually work? Is it enough to let a creature have it and dwarves will domesticate it or if not, what tags will I need to add to the dwarven entity file to make it happen?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:45:21 pm »

I think what you actually need [COMMON_DOMESTIC] for it to show up as something you can embark with. I don't know exactly what [PET] does. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:57:00 pm »

You got the gist of it. If a civilization encounters a creature with the [PET] tag (a biome with a creature population is within a certain distance from a site), they should find it and domesticate it in worldgen. [WAGON_PULLER], [PACK_ANIMAL] and [MOUNT] tags further dictate what it's actually used for.

[COMMON_DOMESTIC] means a creature is so thoroughly ubiquitous and widely traded that it's available to all entities that use them. They don't need to occur in the wild at all.

[PET_EXOTIC] creatures are weird and wild enough that only specific adventurers and crazy frontier outposts (you, the player) will try taming them. Having the [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] entity token bypasses these restrictions and lets a civ auto-domesticate everything they can reach.

Megawott06

• Bay Watcher
  • A dorfy Dewott.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »

Ok. Thanks for the help. (I have removed all [PET_EXOTIC] and replaced them with [PET] :D)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:56:30 pm »

Ok. Thanks for the help. (I have removed all [PET_EXOTIC] and replaced them with [PET] :D)

If that is your goal, it would probably be easier to give your dwarf civ [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] instead, unless you want a few specific creatures to be tameable but not automatically tamed.  I use [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] for my furry fortress civs and I love it.  It only tames creatures that your civ has come in contact with, so for example in my game, Vulps start in tundra biomes, so they usually have muskox, polar bears and wolves, while Komodos start in the desert or tropics, so they usually have all kinds of snakes and reptiles, big cats, and so forth. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:28:23 pm »

Giant tigers. Wait, make that GIANT TIGERS!!!

War trained Giant Tigers can rip armored goblins to shreds without taking a scratch! Rubble adds a "saurian" race that has USE_ANY_PET_RACE, and when I am playing dwarves or gnomes I eagerly await my first saurian caravan so I can order them (sadly they are not always available).

There is a way to use DFHack to add specific pets to specific races, Masterwork does that if I remember correctly.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS