Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MMO* rides again!  (Read 931 times)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
MMO* rides again!
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:08:51 pm »

*Metals and Minerals Overhaul

This is probably the third or fourth time I've re-worked this mod, let's see if I can finish it this time!

For the moment, this is a *very* in-progress project, but I'm hoping that with some of the new tools available I'll actually manage to finish it this go-around. I'm already taking advantage of TWBT's capabilities to dramatically improve tile handling. It's not QUITE full graphics, but darned close. Once I finish rebuilding the tileset (again!!), I'll switch over to Rubble and (assuming I can figure it out) use that to apply the tileset changes as well as the rest of the mod (which also needs radical overhauling to account for game changes).

In the meantime, I'd like to offer a little side-project that turned out to be an interesting adventure. In the process of rebuilding my main tileset, I discovered that there wasn't (or at least I couldn't see) a way to do "overrides" for world-gen map tiles. Then, quite by accident, I discovered that process was using the text tileset. Since quite a few of the characters for the world map weren't used anywhere else AS TEXT, I could replace them with more appropriate ones. This is the result, and perhaps someone who has ACTUAL GRAPHICS SKILLS (unlike me) might take the idea and run with it.

16x12 text tileset, primarily the work of the awesome Lord Zorinthrox http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=703, with additional tiles bungled together by me, or stolen from various much better tilesets (I have complete records, which will be included with the actual release).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5d8iyy43dko5pi/MMO_12x16_text.png?dl=0

There are additional tiles I could have replaced (=nV for example), but I decided to leave them either because they WERE used in text, or were better left alone for thematic reasons. A great challenge (for me) in this project was that many of the tiles needed have never (to my knowledge) been drawn before. Since I couldn't easily borrow, I had to forge many of them myself, which isn't pretty!

Here's a map example - looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20w7iu220ih1qf0/twbt_world.jpg?dl=0

It'll be a couple of weeks before I finish the main tileset, but when I do I'll also post it here. In the meantime, feel free to steal any of the knowledge I've discovered through this little side-track, and keep on digging!

Rochndil, who was planning to make this post THIS MORNING, not near 2pm...

P.S. I couldn't see an easy way to get DB to drop the images inline, but if someone knows how I'll happily edit to fix it.
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: MMO* rides again!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:33:27 pm »

If you need Rubble help you know who to ask :)

Just do your asking in the Rubble thread so I see it, and be prepared to wait until I am online for an answer.

When you are done (provided this doesn't totally suck, which is unlikely) I would be happy to include a .webload file with the main Rubble package if you would like. (webload files contain a URL that tells Rubble to automatically download an addon from the internet)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS