Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove - Kickstarting Now  (Read 1810 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove - Kickstarting Now
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:12 am »

It looks like the original designer of the Toejam and Earl series is trying to put together a true sequel to the first game, this time without executive meddling. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove/description

It's only $15 to pledge for the game itself and the whole project has the delicious reek of super nostalgia.  Anyone else looking forward to this?
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove - Kickstarting Now
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:06:07 am »

... I was, until I looked at it and saw it wasn't going to be a sidescroller >_>

Best of luck to it, though. TJ&E was kinda' awesome.

Though I didn't even know there was a third one. When did that happen?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:31:03 pm »

I'm definitely looking forward to it!  8)   :D

This is a game that needs to happen.

... I was, until I looked at it and saw it wasn't going to be a sidescroller >_>
[...] Though I didn't even know there was a third one. When did that happen?

The second one (the side-scroller) had great graphics but the first one was much more satisfying, as a game; the idea here is to return to that first game.

The third was Xbox-only (thanks to the publisher), which limited the audience. They also forced the game in a certain direction which left fans underwhelmed (at best). I think most players want to forget the third game.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 02:10:00 am »

The devs seem to be really really receptive to suggestions too.

They actually already put in my idea to significantly brighten the game's color pallet to better match the first two games. (I was the first to suggest brightening it so I'm feeling totally awesome about this!)

Other key suggestions seem to be limiting voice acting and slowing down the pace of play to be more relaxed.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 03:32:03 am »

I'm reallllly excited for this! It's an ideal thing for kickstarter as it allows it to be done how everyone wants it other than how studio execs. think it should be (like the 3d one, which wasn't great)

I played the first one recently on xbox arcade and it's one of the best sorta 'background games' to play whilst you chat and drink and whatever. Gives you some fun moments without being too taxing.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 06:56:14 pm »

They actually already put in my idea to significantly brighten the game's color pallet to better match the first two games. (I was the first to suggest brightening it so I'm feeling totally awesome about this!)

The game already looks much better with those brighter colors. Good call! I know they are still working out all the aesthetics.

I'm reallllly excited for this! [...] I played the first one recently on xbox arcade and it's one of the best sorta 'background games' to play whilst you chat and drink and whatever. Gives you some fun moments without being too taxing.

Yeah! There's something about the balance in the first game that works really well.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:24:17 pm »

Seriously this looks like crap
I got nothing

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 09:47:28 pm »

Seems good enough for me. Especially compared to various indies that have HORRID graphics AND aesthetics but get a pass "because stylized".
So far the game looks faithful to the first game in the series altho... it seems to be so 80's it actually hurts to look at... but frankly i didn't grow up with sega consoles so i'm not really in position to judge.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 04:18:46 am »

That doesn't really seem like a fair assessment. What looks like crap? The unfinished graphics? The style and content are far from finished.

A lot of people don't think DF looks like much of anything and yet, here we are...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 09:28:46 am »

I think it looks great - it's supposed to have that style and whilst it's super 80s/90s, that's the whole point of the game.

Unfortunately it also looks unlikely to make it. I chipped in a bit, but whilst I'm sure it'd be great fun, it's sorta hard to justify paying too much into a novelty/casual game.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 09:56:25 am »

I never liked the "Looks like drawing cut outs" aesthetic that they are going for. Especially since it makes everyone look very flat, like they are stuck flat against the ground.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:58:31 am by Neonivek »

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:24:54 am »

I never liked the "Looks like drawing cut outs" aesthetic that they are going for. Especially since it makes everyone look very flat, like they are stuck flat against the ground.

I don't like that either but I don't think that's going to be the final look. Notice that they wrote "Please overlook the 2D/3D inconsistencies".

Daggoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »

PTW! Loved the original back in the day!
“I think I've reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system to an acceptable level.” - Khouri

The Elder Scrolls Online: Klavain - Altmer
Eve Online: Neville Klavain -  Gallente - Miners!

I don't RP female characters unless forced per game, so if you run into a Daggoth or Klavain it is probably me.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

Wow, that realllly caught on at the end! I have to say I'm a bit surprised - I didn't think it'd make it!!

Really glad it hit some of the stretch goals as well - it should end up pretty awesome.