Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titan fun and science  (Read 1099 times)

Alhrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Titan fun and science
« on: April 01, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »

Hi all!

I come here for a little science. It happend I just captured a webber titan in my fortress, and I want to make the better of it ^^ First of all, I'm kind of a semi-noob. It's maybe my third or forth fortress, and I never had a working magma forge yet, even if I have been close several times :)

The story

Usually, I make a main entrance then dig 5-or-so levels down and make my main meeting hall there. This time, learning from my past extinctions fun, I made a second bridge just before the meeting hall in case of hard time in the entrance. It happen that for design reasons, I made my military quarters one level up, with another bridge closing it it.

On the forth year, a titan showed up : "A great eyeless parrot. It has an enormous shell and it move about carelessly. Its peach feathers are long and broad. Beware its webs!". Of course, I sent the alert and closed the doors. Nothing so bas happend except two fishermans eaten alive. The titan then took position in a huge tree without mooving. Not so long after that, a elvish caravan showed up with a diplomat. I was very doubtfull that they could reach my fortress, but I still opened the gate in case, watching the titan closelly. He never moved from his position, and all the elves made it to my gates. I was like, ok maybe this titan is not so mean after all, he probably had enough with two dwarfs ... So when some migrants arrived to the fortress I opened the gate again. I wanted to watch it again, but havent been as alert as before, and by the time I could check its position, it was already on my main bridge.

From there I did everything in panic, closed the two bridges downstairs (the one to the meeting hall and the one to the militaries), but the titan was already on the militaries. I ordered all my squads to attack it and they all died. Posing the game, I though then that it would be better to have  trapped somewhere than up in the trees outside, so I closed the bridge of the military quarters where was the titan. I went out with something like ten dwarfs dead, unclude almost all my militaries, not so bad for an "unprepared" titan attack.

The situation

So here I am, with a flying webber titan trapped with all my weapons in my military quarters. It's wounded though : "Its upper body is cut open. Its head is cut open. Its right upper leg is cut open. Its left upper leg is cut open. Its right wing is cut open.". So here are my questions to community of the wises :

1) How will my titan deal with its wounds ? Will it cure itself, will it stay in this state, or will it die from its wounds ?

2) Given that the titan silk is so underrated, I want to use it as a web turret. My plan is, with the fact that it is flying, building a many-z-levels-prison so it could fly to the level where there is invasers and web them. Does anybody tried that before ? Or will the titan just don't care about other levels targets ?

Anyway, I'm ready to do some science, after I'll have cleaned up all this mess ^^

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Titan fun and science
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »

Unfortuantely, webber titans/FBs being trapavoid, nostun, and webimmune, there's no way to get it into a cage. You'll have to manipulate it by clever use of bridges and corridors.

As for its wounds, they will heal, but not completely. Can it stand? If not, it might not ever be able to stand again.

Alhrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:42:06 pm »

Unfortuantely, webber titans/FBs being trapavoid, nostun, and webimmune, there's no way to get it into a cage. You'll have to manipulate it by clever use of bridges and corridors.

Yeah I know that, I'm prepared to sacrifice one or two migrants to lure it in its prison :p

As for its wounds, they will heal, but not completely. Can it stand? If not, it might not ever be able to stand again.

Hum, how can I check that ? My chief medical dwarf refuse to go do a full medical check up ... :p But it seems it's moving, in the barracks altrough not so much, only a few tiles ...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:53:56 pm »

Is the background of the titan's tile brown? If so, it is laying on the ground.

Alhrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:19:35 pm »

It's blinking blue and brown, but after opening the bridge and letting a dwarf in, it's moving. Not so fast as before, but it's moving ...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:44:49 pm »

Why sacrifice a dorf? That is what kittens are for!

I'm not so sure if it'll properly fly/up down to match the level of the invaders to shoot... but you could always just build a "wall" of connecting stairs behind the fortifications that would effectively give the same thing as flight to a GCS in this situation.

Also, keep in mind enemies can shoot through your fortifications.  For this reason, you'll want a bridge in front of them to block off sight if your titan gets overwhelmed by a squad of goblin/hippie archers.