Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking For Procedurally Generated Games  (Read 1790 times)

RedEthmoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking For Procedurally Generated Games
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:03:02 pm »

Requesting suggestions for games with randomly generated, open ended/emergent gameplay like Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft, preferably cheap or free.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Procedurally Generated Games
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:49:35 am »

On those open world, randomly generated and open ended type of games, i think you may enjoy
Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead and  UnrealWorld , both survival games with roguelike elements.

There was Rogue Survivor too that while unfortunately it isn't developped anymore fits in those category and was rather fun to play and is a survival game too

Prospector could fit , it's about space exploration with roguelike elements.

A lot of roguelike nearly fit, but it's rare they are open ended (usually there's a defined goal) or have a complete randomly generated open world (either they have a map that is defined by the devs or are only taking place in dungeons)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 08:12:34 am »

The real trick is the emergent gameplay. 

You might as well throw out the other criteria and just search for that, it will be a short list.  and I wouldn't put minecraft on that list, so I probably misunderstood what you're after.

there are some clever evolution simulators with emergent properties.

Some physics sandbox games might be considered such, but that's stretching it unless the game its self is responding dynamically to the changing environment .

Maybe you'd enjoy modding AIs for 4X games, or something like that?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:11:58 pm »

Dins Curse but its a stretch.
You are a cursed guardian of some random town and your job is keeping the evil of the dungeon the town was built literally on top of where it belongs.
Meanwhile the dungeon dwelling monsters organize and launch attacks on the town and you have limited time to react or the town is... well toast.

But note the game is not free but you might want to check it ot if you see it during a sale.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:19:34 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »

Requesting suggestions for games with randomly generated, open ended/emergent gameplay like Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft, preferably cheap or free.

Liberal Crime Squad
Elona
Rougelikes in general.
Aurora 4x and other 4x games with random maps.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Space Engineers and other engineering games.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 03:50:38 pm »

Dungeons of Dredmor has procedurally generated maps.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »

Reassembly seems to have procedurals too, even when factions are premade stuff...

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 06:19:22 pm »

Drox Operative is a good game. Solar systems are generated, galxies n shit.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »

Dins Curse but its a stretch.
You are a cursed guardian of some random town and your job is keeping the evil of the dungeon the town was built literally on top of where it belongs.
Meanwhile the dungeon dwelling monsters organize and launch attacks on the town and you have limited time to react or the town is... well toast.

But note the game is not free but you might want to check it ot if you see it during a sale.

Just gave the demo a shot and it gives you a decent taste of the game. I was liking it quite a lot, though less for the "X is starving! Come back to the town and give them food!" bits that pull you out of the game. I would have much preferred less in the way of micromanagement and more sweeping changes based on your actions. Still seemed fun, though I'm not sure if I will buy.