Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Worst Militia Commander in the history of ever.  (Read 938 times)

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Worst Militia Commander in the history of ever.
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:30:42 am »

No question.

I saw this guy when I was preparing to reclaim a fallen fort, He had no other dreams to conflict with being in the military, He was an exemplary example of dwarvenlyness with high endurance, agility, strength, and focus. Based off that quick glance I decided to make him my military commander and load him out to the gill in hammerdwarfyness.

luckily the fort was deserted so no combat was need to reclaim the thing and I set about the arduous task of cleaning up. When the time comes though to test my hammer dwarf I order him to slay a troll meandering near the middle-cavern entrance. So he goes forth, armed with his war hammer and full bronze gear to face down one lonesome troll, the bastard turns tail and runs as soon as he gets near it. Obviously this peeved me off a good bit, so I re order the killing of the troll and he did the same thing as soon as he neared it he ran. I did this several more times until he decided to actual fight it, where he pasted the thing almost as soon as the fighting started. Feeling exasperated with this dwarf already, my mood does not improve when I see a carpenter interrupted message roll across the bottom of the screen. Checking on it quickly I see the fool has wandered into the recently reopened top-cavern and caught the attention of a cave crocodile. Hoping his victory improved his bravery somewhat I order my hammer dwarf to engage with all haste.

the little cowering bastard has other ideas though. he ends up forcing me to repeat them same process as before in redesignating the crocodile until he finally engages and kills the thing almost instantly. suffice to say I loose my carpenter.

I have not settled on his punishment for displeasing me so, but I think I am going to leave him outside during the next zombie siege...
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Militia Commander in the history of ever.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:15:21 am »

The discipline skill would help to turn that off. As it is trained by the Individual Combat Drill activity in the barracks, I usually have no problems with my fighters running away.
Also some dwarfs are cowards by nature, look for text like "is somewhat fearful in the face of imminent danger" in their personalities.