Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Birds aren't laying  (Read 1756 times)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Birds aren't laying
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »

So I've got a fort about 1 year old, I've had all my birds in a pasture with 5 nest boxes this whole time; I've got hens, turkeys, and various others. For a year or so, they've had the 5 nest boxes in there but none of them have claimed the nest boxes or laid any eggs. I've tried rebuilding them but still nothing. Any ideas?

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Re: Birds aren't laying
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:28 pm »

Have you tried using magma?
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »

Check your Kitchen menu. Your dorf might be nicking the eggs while you're not looking.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:06:31 pm »

Maybe you need to remove egg from your food stockpile settings?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »

Check your Kitchen menu. Your dorf might be nicking the eggs while you're not looking.

I think you might be right, there were a few in the eggs section.

I may be slightly behind the times here, but don't they claim a nest box and keep it forever?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:48 pm »

Nope, they claim it only for as long as they need it.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:44:07 am »

Nope, they claim it only for as long as they need it.

OT but is it true that hens don't need to eat? So i can just pasture them inside?
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:06:10 am »

Yeah, you can just lock the birds in a small stone room attached to your kitchen/food stockpile just fine. Kinda like pigs.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:02:48 pm »

Birds are fine in small rooms if there are not many of them. They can turn nasty when in overcrowded rooms. I had some deaths. Strangely, they are fine if packed into a cage, even dozens of them. That's dwarven logic.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 01:10:18 pm »

In my experience it takes one or two years after embark until they start laying eggs.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:12 pm »

Apart from the fact that they release the box earlier than in previous versions, there is still one old problem: they sometimes claim the box they have no access to.

Oblique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »

In my experience it takes one or two years after embark until they start laying eggs.

That's odd, I always get eggs within seconds of placing the first nest box. Are you completely sure they aren't just getting accidentally cooked while stocks are still low? I watch the stocks screen like a hawk to turn egg cooking off the instant the option appears, otherwise helpful cooks will grab them right out of the box, barely even bothering to wipe them off before cooking them up, and probably along with all of my booze if I'm having an off day.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:40 pm »

That's odd, I always get eggs within seconds of placing the first nest box. Are you completely sure they aren't just getting accidentally cooked while stocks are still low? I watch the stocks screen like a hawk to turn egg cooking off the instant the option appears, otherwise helpful cooks will grab them right out of the box, barely even bothering to wipe them off before cooking them up, and probably along with all of my booze if I'm having an off day.

I also always get eggs moments after I put the nesting boxes out. And mere moments after that, dorfs come 'round and empty the boxes. I soon have a barrel of eggs, as the chefs always prefer making huge fruit and tallow roasts. Doesn't matter what species the birds are either: Turkeys, chickens and peahens all lay immediately. I always cheerfully think there must have been a lot of female birds with strained expressions waiting around for someone to install the nest boxes...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!