Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microsoft 10 and hololense  (Read 5172 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 10 and hololense
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:17 am »

I have a windows 8 so.....wait we're was I going with this post?

.....ok then....I will come back to this thread when my brain is not shorting out.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 03:51:31 pm »

I have a theory that there's an odd back-and-forth at Microsoft in the relativity of power held by the various Marketing and Development departments.

Like, at the moment the developers have the power so loads of their software is going open source, they're releasing Windows for free and actually making sane decisions about the feature-set (hey, an interface that doesn't have a button that makes it immediately take up all 3840x2160 of a monitor like most sane people immediately knew it needed to be).

This is after years of Marketing having the run of things and making stupid decisions because marketing and sales culture is to chase the money and promise the impossible because "Fuck it, so long as we make money it's not like consumer good will actually means anything", instead of chasing "hey this is cool!" and letting the money come to them (which is probably closer to the developer attitude).

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 04:00:53 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by That thing about an interface, please clarify. I don't have Twitter or Facebook so some of these announcements and  discussions pass right by me.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »

what do you think we would see in gaming on these?

Thats a good question, perhaps things like AOE/AOM, D&D, Warhammer... actualy lets say all RTS games would play well, farming sims, pet sims. Alot, but never things like FPS unless you and a group of mates really want to run around the city bumping into people and pretending to shoot eachother.

I would like old school games like a game of tanks. Just 1 tank per player and randomly generated terrain that moulds around the RL objects, table legs becoming trees/buildings yada yada..
And Worms, while not everybody liked Worms 3D (i prefer 2D) its is another game that could work.
Or just put it on a cat and play rats on my floor simulator and have much more fun that any game.. I started laughing thinking of it.

I'd imagine horror games could fare very well with AR devices. a group of friends that goes on camping to play such a game could be awesome.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 08:03:09 pm »

Oh hell yes horror.
Nice
I was thinking of viruses that could change what you see in very slight ways, making you feel crazy.
Monsters lurking in shadows but when you try to look at them they dissapear.
Having walls seem to breath and maggots in your food, to list all the fun would be too much.
Pokemon would be pretty legit.
Flora and fauna recognition.
Digital instructions for tasks you are preforming.
Its a pretty good tech to build on.
HUDs for soldiers, police, militia, criminals: ammo counters, id, speed detection, facial recognition etc

In general if applyed properly it will be highly useful.
The way cellphones may become redundant.
If it could also magnify your sight it would just get better.
For people that arnt excited you havnt thought about it
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »

I have a theory that there's an odd back-and-forth at Microsoft in the relativity of power held by the various Marketing and Development departments.

Like, at the moment the developers have the power so loads of their software is going open source, they're releasing Windows for free and actually making sane decisions about the feature-set .
Actually, I'm pretty sure that they're trying to get EVERYBODY on board with Windows 10 so that they can market services and subscriptions EG Office 365, Skype, etc. We'll probably see more software that was purchasable on previous versions of windows be subscription on Windows 10.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »

Yeah, I too see the move as an attempt to solidify the market penetration of Windows 10. Allowing Non-Genuine users the upgrade is the big tell there for me. They'd rather see potential pirates and/or cheap small businesses upgrade to Windows 10, rather than risk them leaving Windows entirely. I'm sure there are plenty of hooks in Windows 10 too that benefit MS, including better and/or more aggressive reporting of usage.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 12:15:08 am »

Holowhatever seems a bit too pie-in-the-sky IMO. Sure it'd be awesome, but that's what makes it so improbable.

For gaming, I think I could see it being used for LARPs. The most expensive LARPs by far, but pretty neat. Virtual pets could be a thing. You could play strategy games or RPGs and build custom maps by arranging objects on your desk. You could have a Godzilla figure attack your Minecraft world. So on, so on.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 01:17:03 am »

You aren't seeing the big picture...

Microsoft will use it for an "advanced" form of PowerPoint (available only via subscription, of course) which EVERYONE will be REQUIRED to use, because corporate executives think it is "More intuitive," and because it will be encumbered with more patents than you can shake a stick at-- meaning FOSS alternatives like LibreOffice will not be able to incorporate analogous offerings.

It will also make a major inroad in the console games space later, I expect.  Imagine an FPS where you have additional data outside your FoV of the screen, for instance.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 12:27:05 pm »

So, it has been a while since i heard anything about the google USD500M funded Magic Leap (They had acquired ~2BN so far, so they are probably not far behind Oculus/Hololens when it comes to resources). i, as well as others, assumed it will be a Hololens like device and those assumptions have been proven correct by the recent video they had posted. they titled it "Another day at the office" and in its description they say that "this is a game we are playing around the office right now". since its obvious this is a mock up (The hand is a detailed 3d hand, the interface occasionally precede the hand by a fraction, everything is too smooth to be human) i consider it either greatly misleading or a direct lie. i understand that they may have a prototype that can do some of the stuff they show, but judging from a reporter that tried it, i find it extremely hard to believe they had managed to miniaturize it from a "bulky hardware sitting on a cart" to a wearable device that allow free movement in 4 months. i also question the actual existence of this game as shown in the video.

A reprter is comparing Hololens to Magic Leap based on actual experience with both
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/535806/reality-check-comparing-hololens-and-magic-leap/

The mock up video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMHcanq0xM
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:28:45 pm by Vilanat »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 04:38:02 pm »

Personally I don't see how the fact that they are offering free upgrades is that big of a deal. I mean Apple has been offering free upgrades for the last 5 years or so now, with the only limitations being your hardware. Assuming Windows treats it similarly, there's nothing that will force you to upgrade until you choose to do so (I'm hoping the people at Windows are at least smart enough to realize that trying to do else wise is a bad idea), so you can happily stay on previous versions until you can adjust the next one to your desired UI.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:47 pm »

Handing out free upgrade licenses to people who already have a machine doesn't hurt Microsoft's OEM business. In fact, it ensures more people stick with Windows. Those people will want new devices one day, and those will need to ship with an OS. Relatively few people these days will pay to upgrade an old machine with a store-bought windows version, so bumping them up to Windows 10 for free, then they see that the new machine in the shop runs Window 10 much better seems like a good investment.

Plus, migrating people away from the older OS's means they can justify ditching tech support quicker.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:26:40 pm by Reelya »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 10:06:43 pm »

Downloading windows 10 tech preview now to install on a worthy sacrifice computer that I don't use. Mostly I just want to talk to Cortana, but I'll report back my findings. Anyone else tried it yet?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 10:34:17 pm »

I dont have a suitable system for testing on. All the would-be candidates I had were rehomed to people who needed computers but could not afford one.
(one to the disadvantaged kid next door, and the other to my friend's retired dad to replace his ancient antediluvian atrocity.)

All I have left is a (now old) Mini-ITX intel Atom board that sports 2gb of ram, and integrated video. (whoooo.)

I suppose it would be nice to test how well win10 works on weak-knee'd hardware, but meh.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 02:06:34 am »

http://www.pallareviews.com/3545/windows-10-benchmarks-performance/

Windows 10 and 7 tend to use a little less resources than Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 runs some games faster than the other two though, but it's expected that when Windows 10 is finalized and the new Direct X 12 is attached, it'll be up there too. So there isn't a huge difference between the three platforms in terms of power needed. If you have a box that can run Windows 7 it'd probably run Windows 10 perfectly well.

The days when each Windows version needed a ton more resources than the last are well behind us. In the 1990's CPU performance increased a lot faster than in the last decade. Things have definitely slowed down in that regard, and operating systems have followed suit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:09:28 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 2 [3]