Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To drown or to engage  (Read 1271 times)

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To drown or to engage
« on: March 25, 2015, 02:08:52 pm »

I ended up getting lucky and embarking along side a minotaurs labyrinth and now I am debating what to do with it.

The labyrinth is on the same level as a river so it should be no trouble to flood it and drown the monster. But I could also attempt to capture it and use it as some sort of executioner for goblins. I could also attempt to let one of my dwarfs slay it and earn some notoriety as a monster slayer.

So what would you, other dwarf fortress players , do if you came across this situation?
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: To drown or to engage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »

Capture him and use it as your goblin siege-dealer or your elf caravan trader, or even better: Both!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:38:33 pm »

drown it. when will you ever get a chance to drown a minotaur?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:39:10 pm »

When will you ever get a chance to capture a minotaur?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:10 pm »

Capture it, use it, and then drown it. Shame you won't be able to butcher it... By the way, when using it against gobbos, make sure it has a weapon. I've met some (most?) minotaurs which had no weapons, so they are comparable to trolls. But I've never seen a labyrinth minotaur, only wandering ones. Maybe labyrinth minotaurs are higher culture and they have a weapon.

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:25 pm »

He appears to be unarmed, so I think what I will do is make a pit fall and drop weapons down there for him and later goblins.

retractable bridges are the ones that just let what ever is on them fall right? and raised bridges fling things?
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:26:58 pm »

Capture it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 03:38:36 pm »

Nah, let him live. Leave him into his labyrinth as well.

Simply prevent him from leaving the labyrinth (for dwarven safety), and use that labyrinth as a goblin execution device.

When do you get to enjoy the spectacle of goblins getting killed by a minotaur in it's natural environment ?

Give him good weapons as well ! Maybe he will use them !

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 03:48:23 pm »

Wait for the human caravan trade you halberd or great axe then drop that weapon for the minotaur, and maybe some gem encrusted silk thongs dyed red. 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 03:49:58 pm »

He'll only get weapons if he wrestles them off goblins. And only if he actually takes a weapon and not clothes, though you can control this with DFhack's autodump.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 01:57:05 am »

Ok listen. You have a minotaur. You are a dwarf. The anwser is as obvious as it is simple. First capture the Minotaur, once it is secured for long term storage, you brick up the entrance to your fort. You then extend the old halls to the entrance either up or down a few Z levels, whichever is appropriate. The entirety of that mountain should be a massive labrinth, filled with twisting passages, dead ends, loop around, and the occasional trap (no insta death entrance of serrated disks however). At the end of the labyrinth is a single drawbridge leading to your fort itself, and a pressure plate on the labyrinth side. You will put the minotaur inside the maze, and then seal yourself in the fort. If any invader can brave the Minotaur and the traps, they will lower the drawbridge and claim what is rightfully theirs from your dwarves.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:54 am »

Advanced dwarven childcare - take every child and place them into the minotaur's den, along with dropping caches of food in. Any child that survives an arbitrary amount of time (from a season to a year to 10 years, however much you want) is a true dwarf worthy of joining your fortress.

In fact just throw all the migrants into the minotaur's den unarmed, whoever survives gets to join the fort.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 12:02:09 pm »

He appears to be unarmed, so I think what I will do is make a pit fall and drop weapons down there for him and later goblins.

retractable bridges are the ones that just let what ever is on them fall right? and raised bridges fling things?
Its easier to create a dump zone on the ground next to the opening, then mark the specified items for dumping.  When dwarves are standing on a dump zone tile with an empty tile immediately adjacent they will throw the item being dumped over the edge into the empty tile instead of dropping it on the dump zone tile.  You get the same end effect, just with the pile one tile over and at least 1 z-level lower than the designated dump zone.

I found this out accidentally when I placed a dump zone on an over pass (2 z-lvl tall hallway) and ended up pelting my dwarves on the lower level with the items I was trying to quantum stockpile (back on 0.34) on the upper level overpass.  :-[
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:05:57 pm »

Cry as he murders all my dwarves obviously.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:10:50 pm »

Are resident creatures still trap-avoid?