Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old School Runescape  (Read 4020 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Old School Runescape
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 07:41:48 pm »

It was bananas to gold I think.

I had a high level mage back then. Most finances were from law rune running when it was viable.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »

Bones to bananas, I think?

There were two spells that would turn items into gold, IIRC. Alchemy, I think it was called. Haven't played in a long time, and even when I did, it was always only for short periods between gaps that would span years.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

Wasn't it bones to peaches? Not bones to bananas?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:43 pm »

Google says both, it looks like.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23:43 pm »

Ah.

I remember running a peach stand in the middle of Varrok at one point cause they were exotic enough that a lot of early to midgame players would pay for them as just lil things to hold on to. So I would just charge enough gold to get double the runes needed for another bone to peach spell. Made quite a profit surprisingly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:26 pm »

You know, nostalgia filter aside, it was genuinely a lot of fun in the early-mid years -- not so much because of the game itself, but because of its atmosphere and (le gasp) even the community.

Seriously though, after I finished the Legends Guild quest I just kept paying membership so that I could do 24/7 Castle Wars. That shit was amazing; got myself a whip, a couple sets of Barrows armor (and the gold to maintain them), a fury, d boots, a crystal bow and my black dhide, and spent all my time doing that because of how much fun it was. Never had an experience like that in an MMO since. Except maybe running WvW in GW2, but that's more a product of me joining one of the top WvW servers and us always having 50+ people in teamspeak thanks to being a mix of NA and SEA folks.

You remember barricades, though? And those fucking little stepping stones that you had to click each one to cross? Good times.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:27 pm »

I always liked going in the caves in Castlewars, barricading the collapse area, and explosion optioning the wall whenever an enemy ran into it. Just always amused me~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:12 pm »

ITT: Runescape Nostalgia:

Remember when KBD was meaningful?
//

Kidding aside, two of my most satisfying moments came at the expense of someone else. Once was when I happened across a guy droptrading to one of his alts in an insufficiently vague location and nabbed maybe 85k worth of stuff, though I ended up giving most of it back and making friends with him.

The other one, though... storytime!

It happened while I was grinding bowstrings for my first whip. Yeah, that's how I did it. Thankfully they were only a couple million at the time, so I only got a fairly mild case of CTS from that. Anyhow, I was getting close to the mark, had already banked around 1.8 million from running flax->string constantly for a week over the summer. A guy was in the spinning room (it was the prime run at that one member's town right by the Arthurian castle knockoff) was selling bowstrings.

He went AFK. I don't know why, I don't care. After a minute or two, a swarm appeared. You remember those, right? The random event, a little cloud of flies that chipped away at you 1HP at a time until you ran off? The guy was AFK, he wasn't running anywhere. I kept doing my flax run, a careful eye on him whenever I went to spin. He was in the mid-80s levelwise, plenty of health, so it took a while. Eventually he dipped below 25%. I stopped doing runs, banked everything, and settled down in the spinning room to wait.

His health ticked lower and lower. I honestly couldn't believe it was happening; you hear about that sort of thing, but who ever sees it happen? Well, lads, it was happening this time. As he got down to a sliver I started frantically left-clicking. If you've ever done it, you know that trying to right-click a deathstack while people swarm it is an exercise in futility, best to just nab what you can. He died, keeled over, and his stuff dropped. I was the only one waiting on him, though people instantly rushed over. Maybe they thought he was trolling them.

Nevertheless, I was the first there, and I filled my inventory. What did I get? Oh, I got a lot of pointless crap. I got three pieces of his whatsit-bark armor. But that's the small change.

I also got his stack of 2.1k noted bowstrings. That's part of it. I got his gold stack too, 831k in total. Don't ask me why he was carrying that around, I couldn't tell you.

And that's the story of how I got my first whip and Barrows set ahead of schedule. Literally best moment in the game for me, and still one of my strongest gaming memories. Folks, that's why losing items on death is both good and funny.

3. Run Resize Enable

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 10:40:02 am »

wait, they KILLED the wilderness, ass in removed it?

That was the only good part about the free to play part of the game.

Also it should be illegal to advertise games requiring payment for 80% of the content as free to pay.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 12:32:28 pm »

I miss Runescape, but I don't want to ruin my nostalgia by playing it again :P
I remember meeting a dude, probably about my age (which was 7 or 8 when I played this), and just doing wacky stuff. Going fishing, chopping trees behind Lumbridge Castle, trying to find a way into the member areas (hah!), that sort of stuff. It was great fun to little me. I also distinctly remember the haunted house quest with the levers in the basement that I couldn't figure out, and the snowman christmas event. Lots of fun was had in the good ole days :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »

I remember that part. There would be huge lines of people after a person who'd already beaten it offered to help people figure it out.

One thing to say about Runescape, it had some really cool and creative quests. Awful in terms of modern MMO design, but awesome as self-contained experiences.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:36 pm »

I completely agree...I always hated the exchange...people became way less social from what I saw after it came out

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 08:08:13 pm »

I never used it for anything other than those supremely difficult-to-obtain items, like my old cavalier hat. Everything else was drops or in-game stores.

Those were the days.

And by Saradomin starting over from noobishness is painful. I stopped playing before around the level where I could get maybe halfway through the Underground Pass quest and it just feels wrong to be saving up money to buy steel armor when I went everywhere decked out in Temple Knight armor before.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 08:17:38 pm »

Yeah, running more than one character died the moment drop-trading did. Fuckin' painful to level, most of the skills were.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2]