Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving goblins steel equipment  (Read 933 times)

TheSponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giving goblins steel equipment
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:38:35 am »

I've been looking around the raws trying to find out how to give goblins steel equipment for more challenge and less useless goblinite but I haven't found anything that looks right. The best thing I've found is [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING] in entity_default.txt under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] (dwarves).  If I added that under [ENTITY:EVIL] (goblins) would goblins attack with steel gear? I doubt it because the only permitted reactions for goblins are tanning and fat rendering, not making any of the low quality metals they usually use for weapons and armor. I know Masterwork gives goblins steel but I couldn't find how. How is it done?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Giving goblins steel equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 03:09:01 am »

Give them pig iron, charcoal, iron, and steel reactions and they should have it. I started with a civ that was basically a copy of the kobold entry which I tweaked and built up and they spit out steel armor np.

TheSponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:11:41 am »

There's reactions for turning coal and lignite into coke but I cant find one for charcoal anywhere in the raws. Would letting them make coke be sufficient?

I also can't find any reference to making iron in entity_default.txt or reaction_smelter.txt. What should I do?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:16:36 am by TheSponge »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:54:38 am »

You don't have to do anything for iron.  It's smelted directly from ore, it is handled automatically.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:33:46 am »

I think the coke one works, misremrembered, and wasn't sure if the iron one was just under smelting or not, but yeah the others will work.

Code: [Select]
        [PERMITTED_REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
        [PERMITTED_REACTION:LIGNITE_TO_COKE]
        [PERMITTED_REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING]
        [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]

Doint that got me a race which made steel armor and weapons and left them scattered around their sites, with random pieces strewn around the map in lairs and random npc encounters.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 03:37:09 pm »

Currently, just giving them [PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING] should make them start showing up with steel weapons, even though they can't make pig iron, because during worldgen (or the abstract world-advancement that goes on away from the area where you are playing) the game doesn't actually check for the availability of raw materials for reactions that are listed in the entity.

For the sake of realism, you should at the very least add [PERMITTED_REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING] and a way to make either charcoal or coke in addition to steel.

TheSponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:38 am »

I added steel, pig iron and both coke sources to their civ's abilities. Thanks for the help.