Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recruits now rather impressive?  (Read 993 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recruits now rather impressive?
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:38 am »

So I've just fired up DF 40.10, upgrading from a long experience with 34.11. I'm trying to get my head around the basic changes before making it more complex with the latest version.

Anyway, punctured some caverns, found a troll and it started stalking the fort. Usually, when I don't have a militia, that's a lot of dead dwarves. So this time, same approach -  appoint a 5 dwarf squad and set them on it, and build coffins.

Instead, these unarmoured, unarmed dwarves punched the troll to death. PUNCHED! Only two of them had weapon skills, but again, no weapons.

Changes to combat, or I just got lucky with this lot?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Recruits now rather impressive?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:38:35 am »

Yeah, they can beat the brain out of a blind cave ogre. For some reason.
Sometimes thick skull doesn't seem to apply.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:28:34 am »

I believe it's because cumulative damage exists now, so even the weakest flabbiest dwarf fist can crush cave ogre skulls if it punches enough times
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:29:16 am »

Nah. You had a weak troll or a particularly strong recruit.

Also I find trolls far less hostile and aggressive in DF2014. This should be a factor.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:00:09 am »

Yeah. A troll just wandered into the lower magma forge (can't work out the entrance - all the levels that pass through caverns look secure) and stood there, with forge dwarves pushing past it, until the Teachers of Paint (how I wish it didn't have that final 't') attacked.

The first recruit got strangled, but the rest, now with one helm and two steel swords to share between them, killed it very fast.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:00 am »

I wouldn't worry about trolls unless you're a goblin, the only things I've ever seen kill more goblins than me are the trolls you find living in dark fortresses (and occasionally taking part in running battles with them on the travel map!) which is hilarious, though I wish they would do it during world-gen to keep the population down better.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:40:13 am »

Cavern trolls seem harmless and curious in the beginning. 
Maybe because they are tagged as "Wild Animal" in the U screen, instead of "Hostile?"
I had one got in and hang out in my central stairs.
I had time to set cage traps on 2 adjacent exit points of the stair and the troll end up getting trapped.