Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about Magma; Is this normal?  (Read 484 times)

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about Magma; Is this normal?
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

Now I've seen volcanoes, magma vents teeming with imps and magmamen  in the middle of flat ground, but I ain't never seen one like dis, where glacier met magma...

here's a zip of the lava layers going down... http://rapidshare.com/files/72065192/MagmaVent.zip.html
It's 939KB, so it needn't take but a moment to grab.

On the ground floor, the magma sticks up like so:

That's the obsidion surrounded by ice.
ONE lil' tick! In the zip of images you'll see that this is like this for several floors down, before finally opening into a mighty magma "bubble" or somesuch.

I assume that in the world creation Ice met Fire in the usual story, and this is the result.

While I admit I haven't done much glacier digging, but is this common? Or did Toady create a REALLY good world creator and this is merely possible but not probable?

Thank you for your time,

Mick E Finn.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about Magma; Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

Also, on my minimap:

The area itself is purple for some reason, in comparision to the usual Glacier Blue.

Is my Magma...haunted? Or is it gonna explode when I unpause?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »

The magma's surface has cooled for 1 or 2 levels down because the surface temperature of the map is so cold. You'll just have to open it up in order to access the magma pipe.
[Which i see in the first shot it already has been, by the single open space]

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

Hmm, so this is normal on cold or glacier maps?
I don't want to build a metalsmith shop on top of a soon to be melting lid   :).

Still, I honestly thought it was a single piece of red sand until I saw a fire snake slithering about.

I think, with it's windy route, that few if any imps or whatnot will bother me, so I have a perfect workshop entrance I guess. or a perfect pump entrance, to fill and make my own magma pools.

So tell me, if the map was freezing, say like some swamps are, and there was magma, would it be the same? or is the glacier making this special?

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]