Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves WILL not stop Gathering Plants?  (Read 8564 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves WILL not stop Gathering Plants?
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:07:26 am »

I have a bit of an annoying problem. My fort has plenty of apple trees, so I designated a bunch of maximum size Gathering zones outside, and set them to ignore shrubs. That was fine and all, the dwarves gathered apples in summer and autumn, and otherwise left the trees alone. The fun began when I allowed them to gather shrubs/pick berries as well. As soon as I did, everyone went outside and started pulling tubers and harvesting plants, good job, but they kept on doing it all year. Stepladders were brought out in the middle of winter, and the dwarves spent an awful lot of time checking the leafless trees for non-existing apples.

I set the zones back to ignore shrubs, but they kept doing it. I set the zones to inactive, and they kept doing it. I removed all of the zones, to no avail. The only solution was to turn off the Gathering Plants labor on all dwarves, which finally got them to head back inside, although they're still stockpiling the plants that have been pulled. But as soon as I turn the labor back on they go back out, dutifully bringing stepladders through the freezing cold and pulling radishes like their lives depended on it.

I'm using 40.24 and no addons like DFHack or Therapist. Is this a known bug or did I forget something?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves WILL not stop Gathering Plants?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:33:19 am »

It sounds like a bug.
But I never noticed it.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:35:42 am »

I don't see any "dwarves keep gathering even without gather zones or plants designated to gather" in http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Try uploading your save folder to DFFD storage and fill a report in bug tracker.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

funkydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:16:43 am »

Sounds like the zones generated a backlog of jobs that were still being played out after removal of the zones. Zones generate jobs. Even if the zone is gone, the dwarf still do the jobs the zone generated while it was there.

Get it? Jobs and zones are not connected after the job generates.

Not a bug....a feature of a more robust job/labour system.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:19:40 am by funkydwarf »

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:52:09 am »

How do you nix those jobs? Get all the dwarves inside, lock the doors, and let them cycle through the jobs, cancelling each one because of no access? About how long would that take (important because you can't see the jobs and won't know when they are gone)?