Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod in hooked weapons?  (Read 2144 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Is it possible to mod in hooked weapons?
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:53:02 pm »

I wanted to mod in some weapons with hooks, such as the English Bill and Chinese Hook Swords

I had two ideas, but I'm not sure how to correctly add either or if they are valid.  I know that there are wresting attacks that grab, so I thought maybe I could add a wresting attack token to the weapon, but I can't find a list of attack tokens, and I don't know if wrestling is some sort of special case.  Second idea is to have the weapon inflict a syndrome that causes very very brief confusion or paralysis or impaired function or whatever.  Again, I don't know how to or if I can add syndromes to a weapon attack, or if I have enough control over the game mechanics to make that work the way it should. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to mod in hooked weapons?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 01:06:59 pm »

If at all possible it will have to be some sort of DFhack sorcery, with regular raw modding its a definite no-go.

Though if you do find a way you might want to add it to axes and hammers as well, a whole lot of weapons can be used to hook things actually.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:54:51 pm »

Syntax for any token you're looking for can be found on wiki if you search "X token".  E.g. "Weapon token"
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon_token

As you see, it accepts blunt or edge, nothing else. 99.9% of the time wiki is fully comprehensive when it comes to tokens. dedicated people use black magic to search out the valid arguments and keep it up to date.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:05:45 pm »

As mentioned, the answer is a no. Wrestling is dependent on body parts, not weaponry.

[LIMB] and [GRASP] body parts can be used to grab opponents. [LIMB] parts can be used to take-down, throw, or break the joints of opponents. While [GRASP] parts can do those, they also have the added benefit of being able to gouge, pinch, and disarm opponents.

Additionally, natural attacks that are capable of latching onto the opponent on successful strikes also count as wrestling. They can be used to make a 'shake' attack. But natural attacks are coded within a creature's definition, and do not share the same tokens as weapons.

I don't believe syndromes can be passed through weapon attacks with just raw modding alone, but I think there may be a DFHack script/plug-in or two that can do that.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:14 pm »

But syndromes are attached to a material, aren't they? 

I haven't gotten into reactions much yet, but couldn't you make a hook material that causes a hooked syndrome on contact and make the hooked weapon out of [HOOK] and [METAL]?  Would [SYN_CONTACT] affect the dwarf holding the hooked weapon, or do you need [SYN_INJECTED]? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:39 pm »

[HOOK] isn't a valid token for anything.

People have tried adding syndromes to materials, but it won't work when you hit a creature with the syndrome-material. I think it may affect the wielder, though, if it is a contact syndrome. Not 100% certain on that, however.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:19:50 pm »

Any idea how poison blowdarts work?  The wiki seems very cryptic about them. 

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:13 pm »

A coating of animal venom, most likely.

Though I've never actually seen any weapons/ammo coated like that in any of my unmodded games.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:40 pm »

Do cave tribes get that by way of some bizarre Toady-hack?

Yes, if you can splatter your ammunition with poison, it'll transfer right into the target. That's what the DFHack add-spatter stuff is all about, facilitating the transfer that was forgotten about in the base game.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:07 pm »

It's mentioned in passing on the blowgun and animal-people pages on the wiki, but as I mentioned, I have not seen it firsthand.

I might go searching through some threads to see if someone else has though.

E: Forgot that searching venom or poison would mostly just bring up forgotten beasts. But I did find some old dev-logs that mention animal-people using venoms.

12/23/2011 Toady mentions being shot at by animal people in sewers using honey-bee venom coatings.

And more relevent, 02/24/2010, Toady stated that "animal people will now dip their darts in whatever nasty stuff they can find down there, instead of just venoms from bites and stings."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:25:47 pm by BlackFlyme »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 02:34:34 am »

VANNILA.
While never been shot at I have seen a laced dart on a cavern floor during an adventure

Heres a picture: ^
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 04:38:09 am »

The only good way to do anything with syndromes and weapons is as Scamtank said. DFHack add-spatter plugin allows you to coat weapons in any syndrome-inducing liquid you want.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 05:59:41 pm »

While I dont know much about modding, I have seen numerous examples of posioned animal people blowdarts in the caverns. Most commonly I see them coated with giant cave spider venom, but other posions are also used. If hit by those darts, you are going to have a bad day.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo