Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal population in a region  (Read 1651 times)

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal population in a region
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:26:04 pm »

Hello,

i just found this useful DFHack command: "region-pops".
As far as i know now this command lists all the animals, which can be found in my current embarked region.
If this list doesnt contain a certain species, does this mean that i'll never see one of this species? Or is there any chance, that a new species comes into my region during play?
And does the game simulate deaths and births of all the animals out of my embark but in my region? So, that it could be possible that a rare species becomes extinct while playing without actually even seeing one of them?

Maybe you could link me to a helpful df-wiki page, i didnt found any useful for my questions.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal population in a region
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:45:24 pm »

That is my understanding of the region-pops command as well. There are supposedly mechanisms in place to "renew" site populations, but I doubt they would add any new populations to a region, so if a species isn't listed it probably won't turn up. (For comparison, a species that your fortress makes extinct still shows up with a population of "0".)

I have not noticed these numbers declining from deaths "off-site", but I've not officially tracked it.

There is some information about site populations on the extinction page, but more general coverage would be helpful.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal population in a region
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:59:21 am »

Thank you for the link, it answered some questions. I wonder why there are is such a low interest in this topic. Especially when you consider all the people asking themself why they never get a specific species in their embark. I looked up a few sand deserts and giant scorpion for example is a quite rare encounter. So many players keep waiting for the species to come without knowing that its impossible in their specific region even when the biome is right.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:49:45 pm by BesorgterZwerg »