Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you make handcrafted maps?  (Read 724 times)

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can you make handcrafted maps?
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:34:02 pm »

I saw that there is a map of the world for DF - this suggests it is possible to make handcrafted maps? How do I do this?

I have spent countless hours generating random maps looking for the perfect embark spot - I'm still looking.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: can you make handcrafted maps?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

1- Find PerfectWorld DF
2- Figure out how it works (I never bothered)
3- ???
4- Profit!
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:51:27 pm »

1- Find PerfectWorld DF
2- Figure out how it works (I never bothered)
3- ???
4- Profit!

I've tried that before. It's the same thing as the advanced world generation menu, except with a GUI. I never saw any way to directly modify a world. Like I want a lake over here in the bottom left corner of the map, with 3 towns around it, and a haunted mountain range over in the top right corner, filled with necro towers. There's no way to do that.

Obviously someone made the realistic map of the world. I doubt they used Perfectworld DF to do that.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 09:05:08 pm »

I've not tried it myself, but I believe perfect world DF has the option to import a custom height-map (or create one based on an image), which will give the shape/elevation of your landmasses and oceans. But I believe that the process of determining weather, rivers, biomes, sites, etc. still follows the same process as for a random map. So you can probably put a lake in the bottom left, and a mountain range in the top right, but still need to find the right settings and random seeds to to get the sites you want or make your mountains haunted.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:08:57 pm »

You absolutely can import bitmaps into Perfectworld, and if it's Talvieno's Earth you're thinking of

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7169
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119419.msg3813913#msg3813913

it is in fact from Perfectworld.  Not exactly the same as handcrafting, although it does have a brush tool you can use for touch ups.