Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my dwarves won't drink  (Read 1496 times)

davidc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my dwarves won't drink
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:47 am »

I dug down into the second cavern layer, but my dwarves don't seem to be drinking.

It's ramps all the way down, that eventually attach to stairs. Miners have previously managed to build walls in the cavern so... not sure why they can't access the water. I don't think I walled off the path to the water or damaged the ramp in any way.

And yeah my fortress is dying but ...  I want to at least try to resolve the water issue.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=63396653812933456319

Question: Do I need to upgrade to the latest dwarf fortress in order to be in sync with the rest of the forums here? Is there a compelling reason to upgrade? The complexity of the game seems to be increasing but I'm not sure that the experience is similarly improving.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:04:07 am by davidc »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: my dwarves won't drink
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:00 am »

Which version are you using? I can't load it in 0.40.24, so it seems it is at best 0.40.02.

Edit - from your other posts, 34.11. Yeah, no surprise I can't load it. From that alone, there was a bug that caused most creatures born in the fortress to not grow to their full size, and that was resolved in 40.02.

As for your second question, you don't "need" to do anything, but many people who'll answer questions will assume that you have a reasonably recent version of the game, though not necessarily the newest. Also, you can just try out the newest version, and keep the old version in a separate folder - there is no need to consider it an either/or situation.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:47:29 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:30 am »

As a general rule, so long as you specify which version (and what, if any, mods you are using) when you ask for help, there's no need to be using the latest version to ask.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:55 pm »

I dug down into the second cavern layer, but my dwarves don't seem to be drinking.
Only injured dwarves need water. All other dwarves need alcohol. Make a still and start brewing.

It's ramps all the way down, that eventually attach to stairs.
Ramps can't be traversed directly up/down, If you, say, carved ramps above ramps you need to add accessible tiles next to them.

Code: [Select]
    OrO                        OsO                    OOO _
    OrO                        OsO                    O _rO
    OrO                        OsO                    _rOOO
does not work               does work                does work

O wall               r ramp               s up/down stairs               _ floor
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »

I've checked the save in 34.11. The ramps are well-formed and traversable. Once I created a water source zone down in the caverns, the dwarves flocked to it to sate their thirst and after a good while left to take on new jobs (there'll still be deaths from dehydration). But yeah, make a still and start brewing.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu