Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ADD Dwarves  (Read 989 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ADD Dwarves
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:39 pm »

I've just recently upgraded from 34.07 to 40.24, and one thing that sticks out to me is that my citizens are severely ADD now. In 34.07, a workshop job set on repeat would result in a dwarf sitting in that workshop, steadily churning out whatever was he or she was supposed to be making. The only times the dwarf would leave the workshop was to fetch raw material, or to eat/drink/sleep/break. In 40.24, however, a worker will wander ten or fifteen tiles after each job completion, before remembering that he's supposed to be working and then wandering back.

The delay between each job is killing my dwarves' productivity. Between this, hauling insanities, and pathing inconsistencies, I'm seriously considering going back to 34.07. I like some of the new features in 40.xx, but they don't seem worth the added hassle and headaches the new bugs/features are giving me.

So, is there anything I can do to mitigate the new ADD nature of my dwarves? I've tried burrows, but they don't seem to help.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: ADD Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:48:31 pm »

This is a new problem since 40.2x, I can't recall.

I didn't notice that until I let them pull some lever repeatedly.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 10:15:41 am »

it is a feature intended to reduce job cancellation spam and increase frame rate. i think there is an option in the o menu. dfhack definitely has a script that fixes this. reverting to earlier versions is not necessary.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:25:14 pm »

Even if you want to revert, you don't need to go back to 34.07. No such issue on 40.19 either.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:26:04 am »

In general, I've found that job priorities, despite having some issues, like this, offer superior performance to previous versions, both in FPS and in dwarven labor achieved in units of dwarven time, with a few exceptions.  Jobs of identical priorities at the same location on adjacent z levels cause a lot of unnecessary running back and forth.  Use caution with designating the same space to be mined on adjacent levels.  Assigning different minning priorities to different levels can more than halve the time to job completion, especially if there is a long walk from central stairwell to job site.  Exploratory mining tunnels are a particularly egregious offender.

Another striking issue is that dwarves will not abandon a workshop job for a non workshop job.  This means that you can leave hauling enabled on important craftsdwarves, but they will still do their jobs if workshop jobs are assigned, but it also means that non workshop jobs (like construct trap or link lever) will never be completed if your mechanic is on repeat build mechanisms, or if he's a mason/mechanic on a repeated masonry workshop task, like blocks or tables/chairs.

Basically, job priorities have gotten stricter.   If a dwarf is doing the wrong thing, you may have to forbid all other activities to enforce compliance, but in general more dwarves will take the initiative to complete important tasks without oversight, and productivity goes up in most cases.