Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire imps and Magma Crabs  (Read 837 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire imps and Magma Crabs
« on: February 13, 2015, 05:18:14 pm »

I have caught about seven of each of these and was going to design a room for them to be useful when I figured that someone has probably already done so.

What's the best use for these fire spitting critters, and in what setup?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Fire imps and Magma Crabs
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:33:04 pm »

Can you tame them? If so, use them for turrets. If not, use them as shock troops against goblins. If the corpses are burned away, your dwarves won't react to their deaths. You still get the goblinite too.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »

A dodge trap fueled by magma crabs will be effective, as long as their rate of fire is relatively close to that of a dwarven crossbow. I found the stats, but the ability to translate arbitrary numbers into gameplay is escaping me right now.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 01:21:11 am »

Do imps and crabs still spit fire when on restraints? If not then you'll want to hook a male amd a female right next to each other on restraints and assign a dwarf to permanently do nothing but train them. That way, when the offspring pop out, they'll be domesticable. And then magma turrets will be a thing.

If they are still able to spit, then link a male and a female's cages up to levers in a 2*2 room. leave em in there for a season or two, then open the door and let them run out onto some cage traps. This should ensure the female is pregnant. Once you've done that, simply asign a permanent triainer to the female and contruct her cage somewhere. She'll give birth in the cage IIRC, and the offspring can be safely trained without fear of aggression.

Best ensure your trainer wears full metal armour, preferably iron or steel, to prevent flaming clothes and hands.

Also keep those buggers away from your general population, even when fully tamed! They will set shit on fire. Make sure they are isolated individually or in breeding pairs.

Plop some of the evil buggers into a 3x3 box of fortifications with a roof (and maybe raising bridges around it so you can keep the crabs safe or stop them from shooting) and forget about them.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 01:32:21 am »

The wiki says they can't be tamed.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 01:39:59 am »

Adding the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tags should do the trick. Also [TRAINABLE] will ensure the ability for war or hunting crabs And imps.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:43:13 am »

Yeah, add PET_EXOTIC to your region's save raws. Then add them to your normal raws as well so the next fort you'll be able to tame them.