Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves only rarely do "Store Item in Vehicle" jobs  (Read 909 times)

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves only rarely do "Store Item in Vehicle" jobs
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:57:38 pm »

I've recently upgraded to 0.40.24 from .19 and I've noticed that dwarves dislike putting items into minecarts, primarily for quantum stockpiles. My fortresses generally rely quite heavily on multiple quantum stockpiles (my current one has around 30), and since I upgraded, a lot of my industries are being delayed or stalling entirely due to this. For example, I often have 20+ idlers and 40+ "Store Item in Vehicle" jobs that are inactive. Casual observation seems to suggest that dwarves only occasionally decide to store an item or two in a minecart, then wander off. Then, there is a somewhat regular "burst" of minecart activity, and lots of items get stored. Unfortunately, these bursts are too far between to even make a dent in my hauling needs.
Has anyone had similar experiences? I seem to be able to alleviate the issue a little by making very large feeder stockpiles, but one of the main reasons for using quantum stockpiles was to avoid huge stockpiles.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves only rarely do "Store Item in Vehicle" jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:38 am »

I asked this exact question. Here is the thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148379.msg6021210#msg6021210
Burrowing a few haulers in the loading zones solved the issue for me. Just make sure they are also assigned to burrows that include food and drink stockpiles and beds!
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game