Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for information about customizable forum software  (Read 520 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for information about customizable forum software
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:36:22 pm »

I and several other writers at Wordpress are looking into alternative places to write, if Wordpress continues to ignore it's user base and embraces a re-enactment of the first voyage of the Titanic.

One of the things we like at Wordpress is that the readers and authors can chat back and forth in a way much like a forum, but unlike a forum, the readers can't clutter the main thread...

I'm curious if there is any forum software out there that can emulate this.  Here's what I'm imagining.  It's not all critical, but the higher on the list it is, the more critical it is.

1)  Writer establishes an account.
2)  Writer creates a writing project thread.

The project thread is locked.  Only the writer can post there.

3)  Each post in the project thread opens a NEW subordinate thread.  That thread is open for general comments.

4)  A way to 'like' posts.
5)  RSS support required.
6)  Hit metrics by project thread and project post.
7)  Referrer information.
Eight)  Click-out information. (Darn Smiley)
9)  Many writers can participate.
10)  Writers can open a new thread for each writing project.
11)  Some sort of way for users to see what other readers who read X are reading.  Perhaps by direct comparing likes.

In other words, a forum with a functional style a lot like Wordpress pre-Titanic, but more focused on writers and our needs.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)