Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need shells, but river produces none.  (Read 1006 times)

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need shells, but river produces none.
« on: July 09, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »

My mayor has taken a fey mood and of course he needs shells. The problem is that despite the river on map being pretty heavily fished there are no mussels or other shell bearing critters being caught.

Is there any work around for this? I'd like not to lose this guy as he's not so bad as far as nobles go. To top it off if he goes berserk he could be an issue as he's damned good with the artifact silver warhammer he totes around, not to mention being encased head to toe in armor.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Need shells, but river produces none.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »

If no turtles in the rivers, try fishing the caverns.

Aside from that, there are cheats...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:30:24 pm »

Wall in your mayor before it's too late

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:46:30 pm »

if he goes berserk use animals or let him starve, you don't want an loyalty cascade

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »

Berserk dwarves are no longer members of your civ. You can kill them without fear of a loyalty cascade.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:03:39 pm »

Berserk Dwarves can be killed by soldiers with impunity; there is no need to fear a loyalty cascade. Unless they're a were-dwarf.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:57 pm »

Well hopefully someone fishes up a mussel otherwise it looks like it's curtains for the mayor. Part of me hopes he makes a scene on the way out, I'm four years in with only a couple of were beasts and a giant to stir up !Fun!.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:56:19 am »

Berserk Dwarves can be killed by soldiers with impunity; there is no need to fear a loyalty cascade. Unless they're a were-dwarf.

That's not my experience in .40.24. The (few, but more than one) berserkers that happened here _did_ cause loyalty problems; it may be that something in the combat-modes or emotions re-writes broke. I've seen the same happening with were-infected citizens - attacking them in beast form branded the _attacker_ as traitor, as if the were/berserker was still fully loyal.

Berserkers can be safely killed by weapon traps and cannot get through locked doors (and will starve/dehydrate if left alone).

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 04:36:37 am »

You can mod some other material to be used as shell (e.g. chitin, feathers or even bones) by introducing [SHELL] at the appropriate position in the raws. As far as I know, this only changes the material for use in moods.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 04:44:22 am »

You know, someone should make a mod to do that for chitin and feathers. Is there any other use for the piles of FB chitin and feathers lying around my fort? Wait, can you use them for decorations?

*NJW2000 goes off to build another 3 craftsdwarves workshops.
One wheel short of a wagon

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 09:59:07 am »

Well the poor bastard went stark raving mad, so at least he caused no damage. He just wandered about stripping off his clothing, interestingly enough he never took off the artifact silver warhammer he had grown attached to.