Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What animal do you prefer for shearing, milking and butchering  (Read 8978 times)

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: What animal do you prefer for shearing, milking and butchering
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 12:37:41 am »

Rabbits and cavies are, sadly, pointless.  They are small enough that they have no butchering returns but a skull, despite cats only being a little bigger IRL and providing modest returns in dwarf fortress.  Relative animal size in dwarf fortress is weird. Have you noticed how large the echidnas are?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 12:59:42 am »

Rabbits and cavies are, sadly, pointless.  They are small enough that they have no butchering returns but a skull, despite cats only being a little bigger IRL and providing modest returns in dwarf fortress.  Relative animal size in dwarf fortress is weird. Have you noticed how large the echidnas are?

Oddly enough I saw several times butchering an echidna gave me a spine (and other parts as well).
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:54 am »

They are also, however, adorable. Checkmate. Plus you can use them to train your Gelder{s} to ungodly high levels.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 09:49:43 am »

The really weird thing is that guinea pigs are actually a delicacy in parts of South America.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 10:35:06 am »

Even crab gifs 8 meat!
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 03:27:40 am »

Relative animal size in dwarf fortress is weird. Have you noticed how large the echidnas are?

Ooh yes - you can get more meat out of a wombat than a cow... I mean I know they are dense, but come on!
hamster cheese supplies are low

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 05:43:25 pm »

In an unmodded game I embark with geese and I try to build herds of horses & sheep. I prefer them because they don't need as much pasture space. Horses are easy to get, but it tends to take longer to get a breeding pair of sheep.

What I want is irrelevant, though, because if I don't stay on top of things I end up with packs of dogs roaming the halls, pigs rooting in the dining room, flocks of birds crammed into closets and herds of grazers denuding the surface & caverns. Even without modded creatures and exotics, I've got more meat than I know what to do with. The end of spore breeding might ameliorate this a bit, but I haven't spent enough time in newer versions to know for sure.

As an aside, DFHack's ability to rename animals is essential for managing livestock. I rename them to reflect their sex, quality and anything special they're earmarked for (typically breeding or slaughter). It takes more work but lets me assess herd state at a glance and move particular animals between pastures.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »

I prefer pigs and turkeys or ducks. I generally capture anything else on the map if I can, in my current fort, Syrupbraid, I have 3 Grey Langurs, one male 2 females, once I get a decent amount of Grey Langurs, Monkeys for my Dorfs!!
The Void shall consume all

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 01:57:31 pm »

Unmodded game? I like wombats, because I can make hundreds of horrible puns if they get into a fight. Immortal Wombat and all that. I use dogs for pets, though, so I can't butcher them, but I like using whatever animal groups I find rather than buying them from the caravan or bringing them along with me.

Modded? I'm thinking of making shear-able anurognathids (pterosaurs). Pycnofibre clothes sound scratchy, but awesome.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 01:32:20 pm »

Alpacas are the best. Because, well, you know, they are fluffy and stuff.

And hypoallergenic!
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 01:38:31 pm »

I never really understood the shearing or milking part, and how to work it (or at least, efficiently); however, I generally use turkeys for butchering, primarily because of the # of eggs they lay, the time it takes to grow into adulthood, and the abundance of materials they leave behind (plenty of bones, meat, and tallow); not to mention, I don't need to worry about pasturing as much, if at least to keep nest boxes full.

Nowadays, in my forts, we have craploads of eggs, dozens of female turkeys laying them, and more than enough turkey meat to make my lazy dwarves even lazier thanks to all the tryptophan they ingest in their meals.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 09:22:24 pm »

Nowadays, in my forts, we have craploads of eggs, dozens of female turkeys laying them, and more than enough turkey meat to make my lazy dwarves even lazier thanks to all the tryptophan they ingest in their meals.

There's an excuse I haven't used yet.

...Seriously, though, if they're getting somnambulant, you might want to check on and increase their booze stocks, not their food stocks.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 03:24:48 am »

I very much prefer alpacas for milking and shearing. Peafowls for eggs. Dogs for leather industry.

As gray langurs love to invade my fortress, I prefer them for gelding and for leather industry now too.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 03:43:37 am »

Pigs and dogs for leather and food industry. And if I actually want to make cheese. Shearing ? Bah.

Although I'll be more of a giant cave spider silk cloth man (better than leather, high silk production) but I've never set up a silk farm yet. Considering I tend to tame everything and anything from the caverns...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 07:57:16 am »

DF is easy enough as it is,  so I try to RP and have Cows for milk & meat, Sheep for wool, meat, and occasional milking if we're short on Cow Milk, Pigs are solely for meat, and Chickens for eggs and meat.

I also keep animals in a aboveground pasture, and try to toss prepared weird shit.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]