Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dominions II?  (Read 2865 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Dominions II?
« on: December 19, 2004, 06:11:00 pm »

Does anyone else here play dominions II?

If you don't know what dominions is you could check out www.illwinter.com  or their distrubutor, www.shrapnelgames.com.   Fun stuff.

Re: Dominions II?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »

Cursed be thy name for showing me this great game, got me addicted to a friggin demo you did!
here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:35:00 pm »

I played it I think.  Something about the combat put me off...  it was a long time ago, so I don't remember.  Neat bits though if I remember.

[ December 20, 2004: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 11:59:00 pm »

You can't control the combat personally, which kind of sucks.  Then again, it's rather unrealistic to have a sort of hive mind control over troops.  I figured you'd love the battle afflictions!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 10:51:00 am »

yeah it was all fun n games til my prophet got cursed and got 3 afflictions. It was one of those special commanders that randomly join you too! He was the master of all my hydras. He and his hydras DIED fighting militia... their afflictions become to powerful    :(

On a side note it was fun when my Hunter Lord (big fat black spiderrider commander) won the Arena Prize thingie. But not so fun when he and 6 big spiders was attacked by a HUGE Jotunheim army  :(

[ December 21, 2004: Message edited by: The_Ancient_Sleeping_Dude ]

here is no good or evil, there is only power and those to weak... Who the hell wrote this script! BAH! I''m going to my trailer. *walks off*

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 03:27:00 pm »

o.o I'm addicted to it too, now. I never really played many strategy games, but this one's fun. Think I might buy it, if I ever see it around.

Heh heh. I made a master astral sphinx with five earth. I accidently moved into the province that the enemy pretender was trying to conquer at the same time, and ended up killing him. Needless to say, everyone was pissed, and eventually my commanders and army were killed, leaving a few archers in the towers, and little old me. *grins* I was always casting astral shield and a bunch of other buffs before the enemy could reach me, so they all swarmed around my sphinx with a row of 'stoned' infantry on all sides, waiting to be picked off.

My archers were killing off ~100 troops a battle, and all of the enemy's forces (who had of course done a fanatical mass-exodus around my fortress) were slowly starving because I never developed the surrounding territories. Then the demo ran out.  :(

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »

You'll never see the game around; it can only be bought from their website.

I'm glad to see that I got a few people hooked!    :D

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 07:46:00 am »

Only from their website... Well I got the full game... >_> Go do the math :P

It's quite cool though, I had expected a few more maps, but what the hell, beggars cant be choosers :P

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 04:34:00 pm »

You can download more maps, or jsut make your own.

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »

I found out about Dwarf Fortress on the Dominions forums. I think people who like one game may tend to like the other, though they are quite different.

BTW Dominions 3 was just released. I wrote a preview about it for The Wargamer. See: here

The demo of Dominions 3 is about to be released, but I think not quite yet.

PvK

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

I downloaded the demo. It's a wonderful game, probably one of the best I've ever played - to me it looks like a cross like Heroes of Might and Magic,  Medieval Total War and an excellent  RPG :-)

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 08:20:00 am »

What your missing out on is the amazingly awesome manual for dominions 3 that details every spell, every unit, every nation, and exactly how combat works.

What I like the most about this game is that it is technically possible for a single human spearman to down a dragon in one hit, just so close to impossibility that it can almost never happen.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

As opposed to Dwarf Fortress, where throwing a single spear and hitting a dragon in both eyes, the throat, the nose, the brain and the chest all at once is the norm.  You could probably kill a dragon by tossing coins at it if your throwing skill was high enough.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Thunderstick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 09:02:00 pm »

:O That game is THE BOMB.

But Dominions 3, which promises to come out soon, will be a better BOMB. Dominions 3 apparently has organized eras, many national spells for each nation (as opposed to the four or five unique spells currently in) and... uh... MONKEYS!

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 11:01:00 am »

Haha, I've had the demo for at least four years   :p
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!