Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing ☼clutter☼ with ‼science‼.  (Read 1690 times)

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
Removing ☼clutter☼ with ‼science‼.
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

So, any mature fort will have the problem where Urist McSockHoarder is just physically unable to fit any more discarded items of clothing in his room. Apart from being unsightly, this also clogs up the stocks screen and may be a factor in FPS drop.

Typically, the best way to solve this problem is DFHack and its "cleanowned" command. While this is a quick and efficient way of postponing the problem, it's still not 100% vanilla, and, in this Age of Rapid Releases, I've looked for a solution that'll work in the base, unmodded game.

Thankfully, I've found one that's simple: Refuse stockpiles!

Goods in a Refuse pile will very rapidly decay down to nothing, regardless of ownership status. Therefore, designating refuse piles across all the bedrooms will, without any further input from the player, reduce the clutter over time to nothing.

Sure, you'd probably want to set the piles to not accept any items to prevent the bedrooms from becoming a moldering morass of miasma, but it's not like those legendary gelders deserve any better, right?

EDIT: Interesting. If their rooms are taken up by refuse piles, dwarves will just dump their crap wherever they happen to be. More testing is needed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:01:50 am by Edward_Tohr »
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing ☼clutter☼ with ‼science‼.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:43:33 am »

It's a great idea!

Hopefully this will make dwarven child age faster too.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:54:59 am »

You might be the first person to think up of throwingchildren into refuse stockpiles to age them.

My compliments.
In a time before time, I had a name.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:26 pm »

Now that brings up the idea of mass dumping the stuff through a hole above the trade depot ... some stuff still sells pretty well even if it's absolutely worn down.

Or, make the whole fortress a refuse stockpile except an area with a dwarven atom smasher. If they refuse to drop the stuff on a stockpile then give them little to no space where they could actually get rid of it.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:41 pm »

Unfortunately this has all been tried before, but who knows? You may well find an exploit in the new code or something.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:28 am »

I've tried designating battlefields as refuse stockpiles taking only from links (so they don't take anything), to decay things more.

I have been nonconvinced by that.

Best way to remove clutter is still dfhack. Or you can also go with either pits to the magma sea, or tiny dwarven atom smashers everywhere.

I heard there are quantum stockpiles with minecarts as well, or something.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 08:37:52 pm »

If you set all bedrooms to be dormitories, in about a month or two of game time ownership will be stripped from all loose clothing. However, you have to make sure that all bedrooms have been switched to dormitories, or your citizens will claim a new bedroom and just move their owned items to it. Once all loose clothing has been hauled away, reset your dormitories to bedrooms once again.

Nobles don't seem to get upset about having no bedroom as long as not a single other dwarf has one either(I base this on .34 gameplay however, so the newer versions may be different)

I usually set up my bedroom area to be relatively standardized, then make a macro which  toggles each bedroom to dormitory. I can then run the macro again to reset all the rooms to bedrooms. Works well and no DFHackery needed.

datamancer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:43:13 am »

I wanted you to know that, because of this post, I am going to attempt to make a dwarf a Legendary Gelder.

This is going to require a lot of unwanted testicles. I also just thought of a fun, if not very nice, potential addition to DFHack...