Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: REgional Interaction !SCIENCE!  (Read 923 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
REgional Interaction !SCIENCE!
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:01:03 pm »

I recently found on the forums from long ago MONTHLY replacing weekly works for regional interactions, I updated the wiki to reflect that, and cited my source.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Interaction_token#Interaction_Definitions

I have been testing with YEARLY, if it does work, its not exactly every year.

DAILY doesnt work as far as I can telll.

Note, DAILY/MONTHLY/YEARLY/WEEKLY are all in the string dump alongside the regional interaction tokens.

But with both YEARLY and DAILY, all creatures in the biome do get change dby it. Perhaps this can be used to make a interaction that only effects the CREATURES in a biome. The tags all work, I was able to isolate animal people and change them using the YEARLY tag as-well.

Pretty col eh?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:04:11 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: REgional Interaction !SCIENCE!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:14:32 am »

Very interesting.  When you say the creatures are affected by it, do you mean wild animals will spawn with the syndrome already in effect?  Or do you have to wait until the interaction activates while they are already on the map?

It would be cool to find a region where all the wild animals can talk, or where they are all giant (or tiny), or where they all go berserk once a month and try to murder you.

Also, is there any way to guarantee that an interaction will always occur in a given biome?  Can there be more than one regional interaction in a region?

If so, it might be possible to make a 'geomancer' creature that gets different abilities depending on their location.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:26 am »

Also, is there any way to guarantee that an interaction will always occur in a given biome?  Can there be more than one regional interaction in a region?

Setting [IS_FREQUENCY:x] up to 100 should guarantee that the interaction occurs, but as far as I know a biome can only have one interaction.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:25 pm »

Very interesting.  When you say the creatures are affected by it, do you mean wild animals will spawn with the syndrome already in effect?  Or do you have to wait until the interaction activates while they are already on the map?

It would be cool to find a region where all the wild animals can talk, or where they are all giant (or tiny), or where they all go berserk once a month and try to murder you.

If so, it might be possible to make a 'geomancer' creature that gets different abilities depending on their location.
They will spawn with the interaction in effect.
I haven't tested with multiple interactions per region, but within one interaction you can define multiple effects. (This is how evil regions work)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:50:25 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com