Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on pitting goblins  (Read 1056 times)

Donagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thoughts on pitting goblins
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:45:39 pm »

Hi all,
I have constructed a goblin pitting area, one of many, for processing the filthy horde that arrives to defile my fortress. The pitting area has a man hole every second square with a 7 z level drop onto a steal spike constructed below. I have had a better one involving caverns, 15 z levels and a necromancer but that was ages ago. The thing is that my dwarfs are screwing things up in the pitting area way to much, if I try to pit 7 goblins at once only two will make it to the bottom and if I try to pit them one at a time they still can't get it right. The necromancer pit would dump 20 gobbos+ with no escapes, the goblins that survived the drop were torn apart by the ones that were becoming zombies so it worked very well, but that was in a build like three and a half years ago.

So does anyone else a get a sweet sick pleasure from goblin prisoner execution?

How can does pit goblin?

In the image above the blue circle indicates the pitting area and the red arrow points to where all the goblin equipment goes when I have them stripped.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on pitting goblins
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:01:38 pm »

Queue pitting like with any other animals.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:37:33 pm »

Put a hatch over the pit hole and forbid it, for some reason dwarves like to release things from cages before taking them to the pit so prisoners will just walk out and start killing dwarves if you don't send the message to your dwarves that these guys aren't coming back out...

Donagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:45 pm »

Thanks David the Master that is some masterful advice, I made a few changes to the animal area and set the hatches to forbidden like you said Aslandus but a goblin still escaped. I think that maybe the dwarfs are just dumping the goblins onto the ground instead of into the pit.

Here is an image of an escaped goblin's inventory, he knows he isn't coming home.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22:46 pm »

Hahaha, this goblin has some senses, better finish him off soon.
Well, I think you have got the idea of pitting them pretty well set, I recommend rooms with the same style you used in the way aslandus told, but don't make them too big. The hatchcovers are near the cages so that the dwarves don't get scared by the creature they are hauling, but this don't help if they get scared by the creature that other dwarf is. At a full room pitting of 5x5 it's already impossible to pit them without one or other scaping, try keeping multiple small rooms under the same pit zone to restrict sight.

Donagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 09:23:54 pm »

Sadly all the escapes are stressing my dwarfs out and I can't figure out a way to stop it.

Here is how they are meant to end up

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 09:27:55 pm »

Well, about the stress...
It was inevitable.
Have fancier dining rooms and statue gardens.
Are you live training your military too? I would be careful with that trolls there, they can break down doors and bones without weapons.

Donagh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 09:54:47 pm »

I am, but when I do that I have the troll pitted into a 1x1 room with a door and then my fighting dwarfs run in and kill it. When armed with steel weapons and armor they make short work of them. It is so messed up the way the cry now Haha.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 05:59:08 pm »

Consider using a two-stage shotgun to throw goblins down the hole. Load their cages into the minecart and fling it at a wall, ejecting the cages through fortifications one z-level above. The cages then hit a wall, ejecting the goblins through fortifications another z-level above and into the pit.

Code: [Select]
Transverse view

##############
        # :  #
        : #  #
-->     ###  #
####### ###  #
       /###  #
###########  #

#   wall
:   fortification
/   ramp
->  direction of cart

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 10:28:05 pm »

As I didn't see it mentioned here, you need to be sure to keep the goblins ability to climb in mind.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)