Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grouped symbols for braille keyboard  (Read 1076 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Grouped symbols for braille keyboard
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:35:13 am »

This thread discusses blind interfaces http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138301.0, as does this earlier thread started by a blind playere http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=90229.0. This in particular is what I'm after, from the Dwarf Fortress for the Blind thread.

I once knew a very well-know MUD player by the name of Tanris in Achaea. It was said that he was blind, but he is one of the most dangerous pvp players.

How does he play MUDs competitively without getting overwhelmed by details you ask? He simplifies the text.

Basically I believe that instead of having a complex set of characters, it would work better if there are only few "groups" of symbols for certain things, like how Nethack differentiate monsters in the same class. Then a closer loo'k' would be needed. Now, this would result in it taking more time for the blind player to decipher the symbols and is quite the opposite of what Tanris does, but my point is sometimes you don't really need all the details when you can just generalize them.

This seems fairly easily workable from my armchair, and I'd appreciate any of your other ideas.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:25:14 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grouped symbols for braille keyboard
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:01:15 pm »

Why did you make a new thread if you want people to post in the old one?? Confused

Anyway, this particular detail of that thread is actually quite doable right now, to a point.  Most characters you can reassign in the RAWs and/or by using a custom tileset. Not all the tiles in a tileset have to be different... nor do all items have to be spread out across as many tileset images as they are now.

For instance, you could easily change all trees to have the same icon by just making each tree tile in the plant_standard.txt to be the same tile character.

AND for anything you run into as an obstacle due to built in restrictions on how much you can customize tiles, check out this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.0;topicseen
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:43:37 am »

Good point, fixed OP. I myself have no clue, though i suppose i could try. Do you think there would be a way to say, have one tile for all trees, and at will activate the second, more descriptive tile?
Reading a thinner book

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:14 am »

Not without some sort of 3rd party application, I don't think. But with one, sure.

Suggest it to the "there will be text" guy in the thread that I linked, and he will probably add quick swapping as a feature. It'd be useful for other people too anyway.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:00:32 pm »

Thanks GavJ. Expect us.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:58:20 pm »

Just a reminder that this thread exists and would very much like modders contributions. Dwarf Fortress for the BLind: Advice sought]
Reading a thinner book