Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Priorities for construction  (Read 1069 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Priorities for construction
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:28:44 am »

Priorities for constructions, that's it.

Want me to elaborate? Ok.

Imagine you want to build the following:
Code: [Select]
W W W
W W W
W W W

It's almost sure your dwarves will build a ring rather than a solid column, since that's how they roll.

So, just like digging and deconstruction, you set a priority over the construction, that in this case would look like this:
Code: [Select]
2 2 2
2 1 2
2 2 2
The central pillar is done and then the rest of it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:24:48 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

suburbanplankton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Priorities for construction
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 08:30:49 pm »

Ask, and thou shalt receive...as that's a new feature in 40.24.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 11:54:49 pm »

No, it isn't. Those priorities are only for designations, not buildings or constructions.

+1 for sure though. Considering the system is already there, it's only a matter of time before it gets applied to other stuff.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:26 pm »

Posting to indicate support. Shouldn't be too hard to add, one would hope.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »

Ask, and thou shalt receive...as that's a new feature in 40.24.
If you're referring to designation priorities, those were added in 0.40.20:
  • Mining, engraving and other designation jobs can now be prioritized numerically
At any rate, I definitely support this, although I'm not sure if it would be easier to implement as a designation or as a property of the "building" (or construction-in-progress).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:01:10 am »

I'm guessing the prioritisation is done at the job level, rather than the designation/building/whatever else level. Assuming that's the way the code is structured, of course.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 03:52:57 am »

When I saw the title I thought it was about adding a "do it NAO!" option for constructions.

I think it would be nice if we can manage the "j" menu like the "q" menu. That is, find a job and incease its priority or demand it must be done immediately.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 08:06:23 am »

The problem with that strategy in this case is that it would be difficult to locate the job corresponding to a specific construction if you have a large number of constructions queued, but it is a good idea (in fact, setting the "do this now" flag should be pretty easy to do through DFHack).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.