Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game Brainstorming Thread  (Read 903 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Game Brainstorming Thread
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:37:48 am »

I thought it might be nice to have a thread just for brainstorming game ideas. Not quite the same as the "games you wish existed" thread in other games, but rather actual ideas which some of us might act on and bring to life. Anything posted here should be something you believe is possible for the B12 community to make, and by sharing your idea here, you give everyone permission to try to make it. No fights over copyright and such, please. We can all work together and share our skills. Also, they don't have to be fully-formed game ideas. Just suggestions for interesting mechanics, etc., might be useful.

My first idea is in regards to hidden object games. They are always... just so terrible. And that's a shame, because I enjoy solving hidden object scenes. I'm really good at it. Lots of hours invested in Where's Waldo and Eye Spy as a kid. But in all these games, the hidden object scene is always shoehorned into a terrible plot with nonsensical puzzles and, universally, atrocious voice acting. Why the voice acting in point and click games is always so horrifically bad is a mystery to me. These games are all marketed towards middle-aged women. Why can't "hidden object" be a part of more interesting, better quality games? It certainly is perfectly possible to make a hidden object scene fit smoothly into the plot of a game.

Usually, you are given a scene with a pile of junk and a list of items to find. One of those items is something required to advance through the game, and you get to keep it, but the others are just useless crap. Even worse are the multi-part ones. You need to find a two-headed dragon, and there's a drawing of a three-headed dragon. Somewhere in the scene is an eraser, which you use to erase one of the dragon heads to get the picture you need. It's completely nonsensical and a cheap way to try to make the minigame more challenging. In any case, the whole time I'm doing one of these scenes, I find the object I need, then ask, why the hell do I keep looking? Why do I need to find the rest of this crap?

There are better ways of doing this. I can think of a few easy examples:

1. Have it in a situation where there's a reason to be digging through all this old crap, such as, you're exploring a house that belonged to a hoarder, who is now dead. There's some kind of mystery or detective case relating to this person, and you need to put the pieces together to solve it, which requires finding particular items buried in the mess. You go into each scene with an idea of the kind of thing you're looking for, but you have to get all the other crap out of the way first. Even better, narrate it in the past tense. A simple introductory line like "sifting through the pile of boxes, I found..." before the list of words gives an explanation for why you have to find these things *before* just grabbing the thing you need - which is buried underneath them somewhere.

2. Similar situation, but instead of solving a mystery, you're trying to catalogue all the stuff. Maybe you've been given the horrible job of managing this hoarder's estate, and you need to do a good job or you'll get fired, your business will go under, etc. Instead of having to find every object in a list, the list can be very long, and you have to find as many objects as you can before time runs out.

3. Make a use for every object you need to find. Instead of a pile of random crap + one useful thing, make it a list of parts you need to build something. The story can be about an engineering or robot-building competition, and you are too poor to buy stuff (or possibly you come from a very poor family living in a very poor country, without easy access to materials), so you have to dig through the science department's garbage and whatever you can find at the dump. For added challenge, there can be a list of parts you need, but they are spread across multiple scenes. I could see this, instead of being a standard point and click adventure game, being a sim or tycoon sort of game where you research designs then have to scavenge for the parts for them. The end goal of the game could be to get discovered / get a paid job somewhere. Or, the game could have a sort of environmental message - that there are literally landfills packed full of useful materials that everyone just throws away.

4. Make it a post-apocalyptic or zombie survival game. Makes perfect sense that there's piles of crap everywhere. In each scene, you have a list of critical items you need to find, and maybe a time limit on finding them before the zombies or raiders or whatever find you and you have to fight them off. Leave earlier and you're safe - you have to balance the risk and reward of continuing to search. Each item on the list is food, medical supplies, weapons, etc. Or there could be no list at all, and you have to use your own judgment to decide what to take with you. Instead of clicking "scavenge" and having the computer roll the dice for you, you have to actually scavenge. The more you find, the better off you are. The rest of the gameplay could be action, rpg, what have you. The downside to this one would be the sheer number of hidden object scenes necessary to make the game long enough. A game like this could be amazing, but it would be a hugely ambitious project to do it right.

I'd also like to see hidden object scenes with different graphical styles. The standard ones have that vaguely realistic style, which works, but why is that the only way people go about it? What about a surreal hidden object game where you're wandering through an abstract world trying to make sense of the world around you by identifying the various shapes that blend together throughout the landscape? Or a cartoony one with a funny theme, rather than the typical "supernatural horror" they always go for? I bet it could be fun to make a pixel art one, though it would be a challenge to make it anything but a joke.

If anyone is interested in these ideas, I'm willing to work on them. I can't code, but I can write and design, and depending on the style, I can draw. I also have access to several very talented voice actors (including myself) who do the audio recordings for my magazine, though I'd have to see if I could get permission to use the recording studio at work, and I'd probably have to pay them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:42:34 am by Sappho »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Game Brainstorming Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:43:05 am »

3) sounds quite cool - you play a junkyard scavenger, competing in some kind of robot tournament. Scavenging better parts improves your performance, allowing you to buy blueprints for even better parts. Of course, if you feel like gambling you can spend your (limited) scavenging time experimenting, possibly making something incredibly awesome in the process.

(( On a side note, you may want to bold the part about anyone being able to use the ideas, just in case people skim read it. ))
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:33:00 am »

3) sounds quite cool - you play a junkyard scavenger, competing in some kind of robot tournament. Scavenging better parts improves your performance, allowing you to buy blueprints for even better parts. Of course, if you feel like gambling you can spend your (limited) scavenging time experimenting, possibly making something incredibly awesome in the process.

(( On a side note, you may want to bold the part about anyone being able to use the ideas, just in case people skim read it. ))

Bolded. Good idea.

And yeah, I can see a lot of possibilities for junkyard scavenging. Time could be the limiting factor, something you have to balance between scavenging and research. There could be a second mini-game for the research part, so it's hidden object for scavenging and some kind of puzzle (maybe one which can be randomly generated) for research. It could even be multiplayer, competing against your friends, if there was a time limit for each part. It also might be interesting to put it in a larger context, requiring that you also balance your personal health and expenses - you have to eat regularly, pay the rent, etc. Actually, it would work well if you simply start out extremely poor. You win money in these competitions, but you have to spend most of it on rent and food and basic survival, which explains why you can't afford to buy your own parts.

I'd also really like to see this mechanic used for social/environmental awareness. Make the protagonist an orphan living in the slums in India who has to scavenge random crap to sell for a few coins, just to get by. Something like that would require someone with expertise on that topic, though, which I do not have. Or simply have the protagonist be a hippie inventor who sets out to prove to the world that most of what we're throwing away is valuable and amazing things can be made from it. Or just make the protagonist a hippie who has decided to live off the grid. You have to dumpster dive for all your food and clothing, repair electronic devices you find in the trash using spare parts, live in an abandoned buildilng, and basically just survive without the use of money. I actually have several friends who used to live this way, for years, who could offer insight and make it realistic.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:23:27 am »

Warning, meta post ahead!

Might I suggest either renaming the thread to "Hidden object game brainstorming thread" or editing the OP in a way that will clearly say this is a general game brainstorming thread vs. brainstorming about your hidden object game idea?

I'd actually go even further and define guidelines on how to post game/mechanic/feature ideas.
I'd maybe even go as far as to create a website which would support posting game/mechanic/feature ideas in various forms and allowing to extend from them or even combine in various innovative ways. Game sites that already have a database of game mechanics and lists the games that use them could be useful as well.
This thread might be a great use-case for a graph-based forum like Agora.

But yeah... I usually overthink things. So, carry on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:45:28 am »

I think the first paragraph explains what the intent of the thread is: to brainstorm ideas for games to share with the community, which we might actually use for something. The rest of the post is just my first idea. This is not just a thread for brainstorming hidden object games; that's just the first idea.

As for organization, I'm not trying to organize anything. I don't even have time to manage the jobs and projects and life issues I have already. If anyone wants to make a formal organizational structure for planning and using any of this stuff, by all means, go ahead. But I really can't do that myself. This is just as the topic says: a brainstorm.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:16:19 am »

Has this been done before?: A game where some or all of the characters' dialogue is taken from Twitter feeds. Maybe some kind of exploration game with a world that is randomly generated in some way. I imagine a 3d game with simple or abstract graphics. As you travel, the world generates, and so do random characters wandering the landscape. Each character is tied to a random Twitter account, and they say a random line from the past, say, 20 posts on that feed each time you talk to them. As you wander through the world and talk to more people, you experience the diverse array of people, opinions, writing styles, even languages. Obviously the game would have to have a potential content warning on it, since there is plenty of nsfw-style writing on that site.

To take it a step further, you could interact with the people you meet. If they say something rude, you could punch them in the face. If they are funny or nice, you can give them a hug or a cookie. Every interaction you make is posted on your own Twitter feed, so there is at least a small degree of accountability there. You'd be coming across people who you would almost certainly never have spoken to or known about, an in environment where your options for response are limited. You can't just say "fuck you you're an idiot" or start a flame war. You have a list of options for interacting, and each of them has a reminder that you are talking to a person. Each time you decide to interact with someone, the game asks you if you're sure you want to say that to this person (who, in the game, has a face - an abstract, simple, randomly generated face, but still), and points out that the actual person will actually be able to see this. I think it would be an interesting experiment, to see how people treat each other.

I've seen plenty of games where you can post things to Twitter, but never one where you actually interact with people. Would maybe make an interesting Flash or other browser game. I have no idea what would go into making something like this, though. Anyone with programming skills who can give an estimate as to how much work this would be?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:59 am »

Sucking stuff off Twitter's not particularly hard. Smoothly integrating it into an environment with visible NPCs would be a pain - descriptions can be changed to match keywords (you check which words are used most often on the feed and then assign the character to certain class or stereotype), but appearances are more difficult. In something like a MUD or a roguelike or some other graphically simple game (pixel sprites, maybe? Interchangeable headgear, shirts, etc.).

It would be irritating if your responses went to the person's Twitter. You'd be considered a spammer, in all likelyhood.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.