Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designations and burrows  (Read 831 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designations and burrows
« on: January 13, 2015, 05:21:57 pm »

Hi all!

Is it normal that dwarf with the assigned burrow trying to reach designation inside this burrow via path that is not inside this burrow?

Designation is marked on this screen. Dwarf that tried to reach it already died as you can see.

I can post save file if you need it.

Thanks in advance.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Designations and burrows
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:15 pm »

Yes, this mostly happens if your burrow has two places not connected to eachother, but if they have a connection between eachother the dwarf will probably stick to the burrow.
In a time before time, I had a name.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 06:18:56 pm »

Yes, this mostly happens if your burrow has two places not connected to eachother, but if they have a connection between eachother the dwarf will probably stick to the burrow.

No, this is not my case -- the designated place are connected to the burrow.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 06:28:42 pm »

Then... Bad luck I guess? They are likely to follow the burrow, but it's not a rule. Something scaring them can make them run everywhere but the burrow. Having shorter paths for reaching places can also. For maximum reliability you can set traffic orders outside the burrow to keep them from wandering there.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 06:33:56 pm »

Maybe the dwarf tripped?
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »

Maybe the dwarf tripped?
Yeah... All that webs around there... Sure, that muathave been it. :P
The most likely by that screenshot is that the dwarf were scared by a GCS and ran away from the burrow.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 01:28:40 am »

Burrows really only restrict where a dwarf will stand when idle, where they'll accept jobs from, where they'll stand to do those jobs, and where they'll take materials to complete those jobs from. There's all sorts of things they'll leave for though, including food and drink, and pathfinding.

If you mark out that floor as restricted, no one should try to cross it to get to the designated wall-building site, or whatever it is. Though they will, because if dwarves can get somewhere, they will get there. That's just how that is. Locked doors and hatches, raised bridges, etc.