Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [OOC] Numenera: Return of Fire [8/6]  (Read 4380 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] Numenera: Return of Fire [8/6]
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 04:21:49 am »

I will e away this weekend. Pretend I introduce myself to Trenton later. Auto any actions that need to be autoed. Thanks in advance.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »

@Andres: The skills are pleasantly concise, and the bio looks good overall. A few question/concerns though, in order of importance:

1. Can you clarify what constitutes as a low or high amount of energy? Creating permanent objects is quite powerful, so I'd like to be on the same page as far as the limitations of her power.
2. As an extension: How much of this power is held in the batteries? I imagine you would only consider using them in an emergency.
3. Body Energy Manipulation: How does this work if the suit is tapping into her bodily (I'll just call it metabolic) power? If the suit is using the power, would that not incur the side effects this power is meant to mitigate?
4. Text-interpreter/Map-reader: Since the entire earth is now effectively host to the ruins of countless worlds, once inhabited by innumerable creatures of varying genealogies, I can't say these abilities are feasible. However, we can easily fix this problem by changing it to 'Aoen Intuition' or 'Connected to the Past' or something like that. In game, this would make use of these skills less like vague interpretations and more like gut feelings.

@Pencil: Thanks for the heads up.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:27 pm »

1. Can you clarify what constitutes as a low or high amount of energy? Creating permanent objects is quite powerful, so I'd like to be on the same page as far as the limitations of her power.
I was kind of avoiding getting too technical about the powers because this setting is kind of magicky and there was already so much text in the character sheet but I guess I overdid it. The concept behind the powers is this: low-power can be done in the background, medium-power is a normal action, high-power actions are used sparingly or in emergencies, and very high-power is used as a kind of ultimate ability (I should call it "extreme" power usage, come to think of it).

2. As an extension: How much of this power is held in the batteries? I imagine you would only consider using them in an emergency.
When activated and when not using any powers (besides the ones that are auto-activated by the battery), a battery will last for 24 hours. An extreme-power ability like Create or Energy Blast uses up an entire battery. They are indeed only for emergency use.

3. Body Energy Manipulation: How does this work if the suit is tapping into her bodily (I'll just call it metabolic) power? If the suit is using the power, would that not incur the side effects this power is meant to mitigate?
Metabolic! Thank you! I've been trying to remember that word for days now! As for your (second) question - not really. You know IRL how you do a massive amount of exercise one day and the next day your muscles are all sore, regardless of how much food you eat? That's what the ability targets. It decreases the rate at which muscles get sore so you can sprint for longer but decreases long-term movement range.

4. Text-interpreter/Map-reader: Since the entire earth is now effectively host to the ruins of countless worlds, once inhabited by innumerable creatures of varying genealogies, I can't say these abilities are feasible. However, we can easily fix this problem by changing it to 'Aoen Intuition' or 'Connected to the Past' or something like that. In game, this would make use of these skills less like vague interpretations and more like gut feelings.
Sure. I was just guessing at what kind of skills a scavenger would have. I have no problems with changing some of those skills but I don't know how to write the descriptions for the ones you suggested.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this in this post initially, but high-power and extreme-power abilities are physically painful/harmful unless using a battery as the energy source.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:34:21 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 02:29:03 am »

@Andres: All right, that sounds good. I'll put you on the waitlist.

@Players: Cheese has had enough time, and I grow restless. He will be put on waitlist and Wolf will take his place.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 03:06:30 am »

Before I forget, I'd like to compliment you on your idea for a setting that allows for magic, sci-fi, cool abilities, and a myriad of other stuff while making sense. Kudos!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 03:28:08 am »

Got most of my post planned, Just one question, Is there a recognized healer symbol in your world?
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »

The only symbol that would be recognized across the world would be the Order of Truth's (the Aeon Priesthood). But they're a religious order, not necessarily healers. If you want to come up with an organization of healers known to your homeland, that would be fine.

If you just want something that would show everyone you're a healer, white attire generally means medical. They're might also be some local organization you're unaware of in Falsehaven proper, but you have to get there to find out.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 05:17:54 pm »

wolfchild, there's a wiki page for the symbol, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus but it's not even a medical symbol there's a really similar one that's actually a medical symbol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius either way if you still use caduceus for the easy of remembering that's how to spell it.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »

She vaguely remembers that symbol from another time, she is not sure why but it  draws to her, so she uses it as her personal symbol

and thanks for the links
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 06:51:18 pm »

Ok, I got rid of Map-Reader and Text-Interpret and replaced it with Connected to the Past.
  • Connected to the Past
Searching through the ruins of countless civilisations and times has given Azey a vague connection to the world's previous inhabitants.
Is this ok?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 06:53:54 pm »

I'm back.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 03:43:52 pm »

@Pencil, Welcome back.

@Andres, Yes, that's good. I'll put your whole sheet on the waitlist soon.

@Wolf, yeah, I was trying to avoid any direct use of modern symbolism, but if it works it works.

Right, so with everyone in the thread now, we can get this started for real.
Pages: 1 2 [3]