Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump Operator climbing in Cavern  (Read 407 times)

Cryp18Struct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pump Operator climbing in Cavern
« on: January 09, 2015, 08:42:03 am »

Hi there! I had a mishap trying to pump water from a cavern lake with the pump operators being swept into the water. Miners were fast enough digging stair to get them out before drowning. One of the dwarfs apparently did not fell in but instead held to the wall and climbed. But instead of climbing back to safety he moved further into the cavern away from the access point. He is currently sleeping on a tree. Will he find his way back by climbing back or do i have do dig/construct some direct access for him?

picture: http://i.imgur.com/425IsLB.jpg?1

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pump Operator climbing in Cavern
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:12:58 pm »

I suspect you'll have to help him down. If you're not in a hurry, construction could help, although I suspect you'll have to make a number of attempts to happen upon a point where he actually has tree limb access to your stairs. The quicker (and more dangerous) way is to chop down the tree. If you're unlucky he'll get killed or hurt.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:43:57 pm »

Climbing is a bit weird at this point. I've told dwarves to channel 1 square down for a few z-levels and they climbed back up from that hole. Then, I designated some mining in the hole and they wouldn't climb down there. So apparently they'll climb to save their lives but not to work.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »

A dwarf who is falling will try to catch himself on a nearby wall, and climb to somewhere they can stand (this is why a miner channeling a 1x1 shaft climbs out). 

A dwarf who is currently climbing will consider routes which require climbing in order to get to where they want to go. A dwarf who is not currently climbing will consider any tile which cannot be reached without climbing to be unreachable, regardless of climbing skill.

There is some evidence (I have not personally done any !!SCIENCE!! regarding this) that a dwarf with climbing skill will consider a shorter route which requires climbing, but only if a route exists which does not require climbing.

Cryp18Struct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 06:12:47 am »

He was indeed unwilling to climb back. I dug him stairs from above and he managed to get to safety. For some reason the tree disappeared(maybe something to do with building up/down-stairs on top of it?).