Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean pumping disaster - I want to recover items  (Read 542 times)

blase6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean pumping disaster - I want to recover items
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:11:54 pm »

My fort is on the ocean. Since I was preparing to start a hospital, I build an aqueduct system to pump water from the ocean into a well reservoir. Everything went OK until dwarves started to come over to the pump, which is right next to a little cove without covering. I was going to build a covered room for the pump, but I wanted to fill the reservoir first. Well, what do you know, there are 2 dead dwarves drowned in the cove. Really unfortunate is that a soldier with full armor, including a steel short sword and helm, for which I don't have iron on my map, is down there. I want to know the best way to drain my area so that I can recover the bodies and items, without permanently draining the cove.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I didn't build the aqueduct right, so it leaked water all over the ground. That's what probably knocked the dwarves into the cove. The cove is small (maybe about 40-50 spaces total) and connects to the ocean by a 1-space wide orthogonal opening.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:32:16 pm by blase6 »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean pumping disaster - I want to recover items
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:03:32 pm »

Personally, I'd pump out water near the opening and build a floodgate/bridge/wall real quick to seal it off.  I would recommend a wall for now as a temporary, easy to construct measure.  Then drain it from another side by either channeling it into an aquifier, into the caverns (it'll flood off the map/evaporate), or into an end-of-map drain (tunnel to map edge then smooth/carve fortification on the last tile to let water flow away).  I suppose if you had a good drain you could open that up first while pumping water back into the ocean to make the construction easier.  Pumps can easily remove water from a tile faster than they enter it, but you will likely deal with several cancellation messages (just pause and un-suspend until it is completed, progress isn't lost).  Once the water is gone, you can retrieve BOTH bodies and their items.  You want to entomb those dorfs (or at least carve a memorial) to prevent ghost attacks.  Once recovered, you can build the reservoir the RIGHT way and fill it again.  I recommend later replacing that wall with a raised bridge (floodgates can be destroyed, raised bridges cannot).  Once drained, you reseal the reservoir and fill it again.  There really is no such thing as "permanently drained" when we can endlessly make walls, floors, lever-controlled hatches and drains, etc. 

Look, no reservoir is built right unless you can both refill it and drain it again on command for exactly the problem you are having.  If someone falls into the reservoir, you need to be able to empty it on command and recover the dorf before he drowns.  Typically you'll want a lever controlled drain (either floodgate, bridge, or hatch) and a lever controlled way of filling it up (Gears can be attached to pumps to turn them on/off).  I suppose you could just dorf power the reservoir full at the beginning, though.  Since this is an ocean you WILL have to pump it at least once anyway (to remove the salt).  Also make sure the reservoir is at least 2 z-levels deep.  Even after being pumped, 1-tile deep water will always contain a "dusting of mud" that is created when the water hits any dirt, stone, or constructed floor.  Your reservoir could technically be 1 z-level, but then you drain it (via lever) into a narrow (but deep) secondary reservoir that you dip your well into.  The second concern for a well-built reservoir is safety.  Building destroyers or amphibious pests shouldn't be able to swim through it and get to your fort.  This is why I (again) recommend gating it off with raised bridges.  Grates and fortifications can be swum through when flooded.

blase6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:21:11 pm »

Instead of risking more drownings by trying to build a wall on the level of the water, while using a pump, can I just build a supported wall and collapse it into the opening?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:37:57 pm »

can I just build a supported wall and collapse it into the opening?
Build? No - constructions deconstruct into their component items during cave-ins. In order to do that, you would need to make it out of cast obsidian, and in that case you could just as easily drop the lava straight into the ocean.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blase6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:05:17 pm »

Oh. In that case, I guess pumping out the cove and walling it off will be necessary.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »

Or alternatively, you could make a little project out of it, build a path for the water to flow through, pushing the items into your fortress (assuming the items are right next to a wall in the cove) then closing off the water so you can retrieve the items, just make sure you remember to put up a bridge to hold back the water...