Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Dwarf Fortress" "Attack on Titan" Crossover (a mod question/suggestion)  (Read 1753 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to start this off with two different statements. This is a question and or suggestion for modding. If you clicked on here thinking this was a mod involving Attack on Titan, I am sorry for misleading you as that was not my intent. Also, I am hoping this would be the correct place for this topic. Being with a limited amount of time on the internet, it is a possibility that I over looked a thread this topic would fit. If that is so I completely accept it being moved to said area on the forums. I considered putting this in the suggestions section but it appeared that this would not belong there as it is for gameplay suggestions and not mod suggestions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a what most people would call a huge anime fan, but when I watch Attack on Titan, I was hooked. For those of you who are not familiar with the show, I would like to copy and paste the wikipedia description "Over one hundred years prior to the beginning of the story, giant humanoid creatures called Titans (巨人 Kyojin) suddenly appeared and nearly wiped out humanity, devouring them without remorse or reason. What remains of humanity now resides within a country surrounded by three enormous concentric walls: the outermost is Wall Maria (ウォール・マリア Wōru Maria); the middle wall is Wall Rose (ウォール・ローゼ Wōru Rōze, pronounced like rosé) and the innermost is Wall Sheena (ウォール・シーナ Wōru Shīna, alt. "Wall Sina"). Inside these walls, humanity has lived in peace for one hundred years; many people growing up without ever having seen a Titan. This all changes when one day, a giant 60-meter (200 ft)-tall Titan mysteriously appears and breaches the outer wall of the Shiganshina district, a town at Wall Maria, allowing the smaller Titans to invade the district. . ." -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan

I, amung many others who has watched this show, are on the edge of our seats for the following season to come out. After I finished watching all 25 episodes (which is what there is as of this topic) I played Dwarf Fortress. I am still far from mastering the game, but I know enough to have had something click. Sans the grappling hooks the military use in the series, the setting could fall right in to dwarf fortress.

The walls used in the city can be translated easily into DF. The citizens, why not have them dwarves? Players could try to build a fortified city before any major titan attack could happen. Titans may wonder close enough to your fortress to take notice and attack. Honestly the potential would be endless for such a mod.

I did a search via google; "Dwarf fortress Attack on titan" and other similar entries. I was certain I would find several mods with this same idea. My search turned up only one article on redit with only a few posts. This has taken me by surprise. I want to know if there is a mod(s) out there incorporating Attack on Titan for Dwarf Fortress, or at least any in the works. Did this come across any other peoples mind?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: "Dwarf Fortress" "Attack on Titan" Crossover (a mod question/suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

This hasn't been done because sadly, at this point it can't be done. Enemies destroying constructions and terrain tiles is a feature buried some place deep in the dev goals list, and for as far as I know not possible to mod in.

You can mod in a creature with a gigantic size of course but as things are right now it would just be another megabeast, which will be brought to full stop with a simple trench with an overhang on the inner side.

I haven't watched the show but from what I have seen that wouldn't quite capture the mood.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:49:23 pm »

Still seeing anyone who could fend off a dozen or more mega beasts would be quite a respectable act.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:34:19 pm »

Yeah, I made the folder, really thought it through and gave up before I even started because of how unsatisfying the result would be.