Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to secure an open air enclosure  (Read 695 times)

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to secure an open air enclosure
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:33:16 pm »

What's the best way to secure a walled outside area against climbers? I'm not even sure this is an issue if enemies can't get line-of-sight through the walls, but I want to be sure. Will surrounding an area with walls, then put floors around the walls 1 z level above suffice?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to secure an open air enclosure
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:01:32 pm »

Yes, overhangs or very slippery surfaces (smoothed stones, fortifications) will AFAIK stop climbers. See this list of options.

Edit: Forget line of sight, remember building destroyers. And don't forget about fliers.

Edit2: Also, see discussion on reddit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:31:14 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:48:27 am »

I've read somewhere that goblins can reach up to a 1 z-level overhang and pull themselves up, so I'd go for 2 levels, but personally I always deck over my courtyards completely.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:53:17 am »

Yeah, I go with two up and one over. I figure the fortifications curve up and out from the wall.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:52 am »

I've read somewhere that goblins can reach up to a 1 z-level overhang and pull themselves up, so I'd go for 2 levels, but personally I always deck over my courtyards completely.
I guess you can jump up one level, catch the overhang and climb over wall. Just add a moat in front of those walls.

I am using two-tiles-wide one-level-deep moat, two-tiles-wide walls behind it and one-tile-wide fortifications on the rim of those walls. Making walls from smoothed natural stone or blocks rather then from raw material makes them at least hard to climb if not unclimbable. One-wide-strip of floors (the upper side of inner walls) should also make marksmen stand next to fortifications during defence. I am still waiting for a siege to fully test this design but so far I haven't seen anyone trying to climb over it.

Edit: Just found older discussion on climbing of walls.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:59:45 am by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:36:38 am »

Fortifications are really important because without that extra wall in the way your archers will frequently climb down to heroically do battle Mano e swordo, even if they still have bolts.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 05:54:42 am »

Trenches in front of walls might be very effective now, that would be much quicker than putting up a second story, since scaffolding doubles the time to construct. Smooth the stone on the inside bottom of the trench if it is smoothable stone, this could even be done from the other side, and access tunnel going all around the walls. The trench will give you the extra time before that first siege to get 2nd story fortifications etc built.

I don't think goblins can jump across, and up at the same time. But let me know if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:58:34 am by Reelya »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:11:54 pm »

If you dont mind how goofy it would look, instead of scaffolding for the second layer wall, just have your dwarves stand on the wall and build an overhanging second layer. (Actually this is what i do with the fortifications at the top)