Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not-related artwork images  (Read 762 times)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not-related artwork images
« on: January 07, 2015, 05:59:41 pm »

When my artwork images depict events they often have something like "The artwork relates to..." (foundation of fortress, promoting to mayor, killing of the first one...). I have recently managed to get some similar images without this "relates to" section. Does that mean those are image of things that didn't happen and are they then just made from the fantasy of their creator (engraver)? Or was that part "just" somehow lost during the generation of the description?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Not-related artwork images
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:20:18 pm »

Sometimes a goblin laughing at a burning dwarf is just a goblin laughing at a burning dwarf

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »

I have two such images so far. On both is one of my squad commanders, once surrounded by cave spiders and once embracing alligator snapping turtle. Not knowing about any cave spiders around my fort recently it seemed a bit weird.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »

I bet your commander either (a) likes or (b) hates cavespiders; and your engraver either (a) likes or is the same dwarf as or (b) hates the commander.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »

I bet your commander either (a) likes or (b) hates cavespiders; and your engraver either (a) likes or is the same dwarf as or (b) hates the commander.
No, those two don't have any relationship. But yes, he likes those turtles and detests cave spiders. Bad for him, he is a commander of melee squad and we are heading for caverns soon...

Thanks for clearing it. Good pick. I didn't know even such things can get to imagery. Point for Toady then, too, I guess.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's just them having a position (I.E showing up in the (n)obles screen), nothing to do with relationships.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:09:47 am »

I'm pretty sure it's just them having a position (I.E showing up in the (n)obles screen), nothing to do with relationships.

Ah, i see.  Do you think personalities of the engraver come into play at all?   ... like, does anything other than random chance influence whether you get carved with the animal you like instead of the vermin you hate?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:17:50 am »

They do tend to fixate on one dwarf a lot, Im sure personality and relationships do play a role.
  But, to be on the safer side, I always draft my 3rd or 4th engraver into a melee and have part archer-masons
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:09:18 am »

The dwarfs who get statues made of them are usually my nobles. Even if it's "an image of Urist surrounded by mussels, looking terrified", that tends to be a mayor or ex-mayor. Relations to the sculptor or the artist's attitude towards authority don't have any clear effect.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »

Yes, the artists draw from "events" that happened, personality/preferences, and probably relationships...
so I assume the main random element would just be which influence is used, and how much of it/them.
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 02:08:23 pm »

The dwarfs who get statues made of them are usually my nobles. Even if it's "an image of Urist surrounded by mussels, looking terrified", that tends to be a mayor or ex-mayor. Relations to the sculptor or the artist's attitude towards authority don't have any clear effect.
Yes, I have now on two adjacent tiles:
  • image of dwarf A being removed as expedition leader in midsummer 6
  • image of dwarf B being elected as mayor in midsummer 6
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:32:01 pm »

Likely coincidence. Don't think of it as the chance that that particular tile will have a related event next to it, think of it as the total chance of two adjacent tiles have related events. Basically: if you have enough, it's bound to happen. It's basically the birthday paradox.