Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is the game playable yet?  (Read 3693 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Is the game playable yet?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 02:38:49 pm »

Hey, have the recent updates fixed the farming inefficiencies? I cant quite tell from reading them but a lot seem to refer to farming and hauling
The multihauling overhaul makes harvesting and plant gathering more efficient, but I don't think it fixes the problem of containers being carried and causing cancellation spam...

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 02:43:51 pm »

Yeah... but dwarves spend less time hauling barrels.  instead of making 10 separate trips they'll do it in one.  However... a second problem is that dwarves often haul too much now.  I've caught herbalists crawling across the map trying to reach the next prickle berry while already hauling 130 something odd plants. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »

Hey, have the recent updates fixed the farming inefficiencies? I cant quite tell from reading them but a lot seem to refer to farming and hauling
The multihauling overhaul makes harvesting and plant gathering more efficient, but I don't think it fixes the problem of containers being carried and causing cancellation spam...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146920

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 02:27:19 am »

The fix came a couple of versions ago, in 40.21 actually:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146734.0

(*) Hauling jobs that used to need a held container now allow the dwarf to carry many items without a container

So Toady decided carryable containers isn't ready for showtime yet, and is just allowing dwarves to carry lots of things in their hands.

Since carrying a container was originally meant to get around the problem of dwarves only having one "item slot" for carrying stuff, Toady might now be doing what I once suggested for piles - a "virtual container", e.g. each dwarf now has a "hands" container built-in so it can use the existing container code to carry a lot of items in their hands at once. This is just speculation but doing it that way would have minimized the amount of new coding required.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:31:22 am by Reelya »

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »

He fixed dwarfs not fighting back against invaders! Dwarf fortress here i come!

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 03:49:27 pm »

THE GAME IS NOW SUPER PLAYABLE
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »

I see absolutely no reason not to upgrade from 0.34.11 now. Even FPS problems are solved by 1x1 fortresses being allowed now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]