Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves don't want to plant above-ground plants  (Read 545 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves don't want to plant above-ground plants
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:17 am »

Hi all!

It seems like dwarves don't want to plant above-ground plants on the farm plots on the Z-1 level (I've made one tile of these farm plots "Outside Light Above Ground" by channeling out one tile above them). I have all required seeds and it doesn't even say "No seeds" but dwarves plant only underground plants on regular farm plots. Is it a known bug?

Thanks in advance.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't want to plant above-ground plants
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

Have you tried channeling out all of the tiles above the farm and then flooring it over?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't want to plant above-ground plants
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:04:47 pm »

This is not a bug, this is the intended behavior. You can't plant above ground crops underground. Yes, you can designate a plot for above ground plants if it has even one tile listed as above ground, but only the above ground tile will be planted, if that. From the wiki page on farming: "Any farm plot that has both Above Ground and Subterranean tile attributes within the plot will only be partially planted, if at all. Verify using k over each square of the plot and remake as needed to follow the proper attributes."

You can roof over above ground farms if you like, but I find it a waste of time on most biomes, as well as being a bit like cheating. There really aren't that many flying creatures that will attack your fort in most biomes. When I do make covered plots, I make a bunch of glass blocks and roof with those, so it seems less unrealistic.