Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Monarch - Has this happened to you?  (Read 1475 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
No Monarch - Has this happened to you?
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:33:13 pm »

So, I've got a fort on it's 11th year (the FPS, it buuuuurns). I've been trying to get a baron for the past 5 years, without success.

I noticed when I looked at the civ screen around year 2 that we didn't seem to have anyone filling the position of monarch. The title was just absent. Since then, the title has neither been filled nor shown up. I'm starting to think that I don't have a monarch.

Bug?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: No Monarch - Has this happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »

I didn't know a monarch was essential to a civilisation.
Perhaps you haven't the numbers? Not at your fort, I mean in the entire civ.

Tell you what, there's a whole lot of people who would like to have your civilisation. Many players out there don't like having a monarch and all that that entails.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:24:05 pm »

I think Monarch is always present. I once spawned (As a newly made adventurer) in a camp where nobody, but me and and queen.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:46:00 pm »

Numbers are not important. I once had one of my dwarfs crowned king on year two.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:12 pm »

One of my older forts had a blank entry for Monarch and no liaison showed up until the end of year 2 I believe. Not long after the monarch slot was occupied and things seem to be normal. I wasn't ready for that, when they finally arrived, everyone had been hunting vermin for sustenance for awhile and most of the population was flashing hungry. Luckily no one starved to death.

I just figured that the previous leader had been killed or died naturally and it took awhile for a replacement to show up, and without a replacement no liaisons were being sent out.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:26:08 pm »

On a related note, will queen's successor show up now if the queen is dead? She had lots of kids.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:29:45 pm »

On a related note, will queen's successor show up now if the queen is dead? She had lots of kids.
Last time I checked dwarven nobles are not hereditary.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Numeroid

• Bay Watcher
  • Back after a long hiatus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:42 pm »

Not exactly related, but I just recently made a fort where my civ had a confusing amount of goblins holding positions. I only noticed when my outpost liaison was a goblin.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:41:55 pm »

I got a baroness in 40.23 auto-claimed the title for herself (rightful somethingorother) through family relationship to the monarch. No idea what happens when the Queen dies though, IIRC they are not replaced. Succession wars might be implemented when we get to send armies out.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:15 am »

They are as of 40.xx, succession was fixed.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:07:21 pm »

I've found that sometimes, for some reason, in order to get a barony, you need to keep the outpost liason from meeting with your expedition leader until the caravan has left.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »

If the monarch had previously died, It takes some time for a new one to be made. Or your civilization could just be extinct.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »

If the monarch had previously died, It takes some time for a new one to be made. Or your civilization could just be extinct.

I doubt this, as I'm still getting caravans. Plus there's other appointed barons for other forts of the civ, and I haven't been getting any messages saying forts have fallen...

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 10:53:34 pm »

You might be able to become the capitol if you offer a tonne of items to the next caravan of your civ, and also build a lot of stuff to bump up your forts worth in architecture.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:40:14 pm »

Yes. I've never had a monarch.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)