Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restrict Reactions to Creatures  (Read 980 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Restrict Reactions to Creatures
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:46:44 pm »

This isn't something that's valuable at the moment, because it needs a lot more features to be implemented first, but I think it should be eventually possible to restrict certain reactions so that they can only be performed by one creature.
This would make things more interesting once multi-race entities are properly implemented; players can be incentivized to have small numbers of other races in their forts to enable them to use race-specific interactions. For example, someone playing a human fort (when possible) could build a 'dwarven quarter' to house dwarf migrants (should they be lucky enough to get them), gaining the player the ability to forge steel.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restrict Reactions to Creatures
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:07:29 am »

I'm not sure how I feel about this idea. Why does steel need to be made specifically by dwarves? I though the reason humans and elves didn't do it was technological/ethical. If they know how and don't mind doing it, they should be able to.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 02:47:27 am »

Some things being restricted wouldn't bother me (if they could be changed in the raws) - maybe not dwarves being the only ones with steel, but magma furnaces would make a great dwarf-only reaction, similar to elves getting grown wood and humans getting large equipment.

That said, having civilisations and other groups keeping specific secret knowledge is something I'd like even more. It'd be a good way to make guilds important as well as interspecies relations - so you might have some Elven animal-trainers because they know the secret of training war-chimpanzees and some human mercenaries to serve as cavalry and whatnot - or some dwarves from a different civilisation because in this world they have a monopoly on beekeeping or know how to grow sliver barbs or what-have-you.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 01:14:40 am »

It probably wouldn't matter much in vanilla, but it would be very useful to modders.  For example, for reactions that actually requires some physical aspect of the creature, or caste.

There have been whole tutorials written about how to write a reaction that is restricted to a particular caste, but the method is...EXTREMELY messy, to say the least.

(The method is to create an instantly-vaporizing stone that transfers a syndrome that transforms the specific caste into a creature with a body part that automatically melts, causing a limb to fall off, which the creature then animates and transforms into a creature that melts and leaves the desired item as an ITEMCORPSE.  So yeah.  Making proper support for this kind of thing would be very nice.)

(Also, there should be a way to reliably transfer a syndrome to a creature through a reaction.  The vaporizing stone method only works about a third of the time, and sometimes it gets transferred to whoever happens to be standing around the workshop.  Maybe there could be some tag on the reaction that automatically applies the syndrome of a vaporizing stone to the creature.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:01:17 pm »

It probably wouldn't matter much in vanilla, but it would be very useful to modders.  For example, for reactions that actually requires some physical aspect of the creature, or caste.

There have been whole tutorials written about how to write a reaction that is restricted to a particular caste, but the method is...EXTREMELY messy, to say the least.

(The method is to create an instantly-vaporizing stone that transfers a syndrome that transforms the specific caste into a creature with a body part that automatically melts, causing a limb to fall off, which the creature then animates and transforms into a creature that melts and leaves the desired item as an ITEMCORPSE.  So yeah.  Making proper support for this kind of thing would be very nice.)

(Also, there should be a way to reliably transfer a syndrome to a creature through a reaction.  The vaporizing stone method only works about a third of the time, and sometimes it gets transferred to whoever happens to be standing around the workshop.  Maybe there could be some tag on the reaction that automatically applies the syndrome of a vaporizing stone to the creature.)
Please look through modtools/reaction-trigger with the -command option, it makes this idea orders of magnitude easier (at the cost of requiring DFHack).  I wrote a script that chose one of two effects based on whether the triggering person had a particular syndrome.  Checking for a species or caste would be similar.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map