Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do recruits in my squad rotate?  (Read 914 times)

Urist McMontesOca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do recruits in my squad rotate?
« on: January 01, 2015, 07:19:23 pm »

I mean... I have an all-swordsdwarf-squad. They're CONSTANTLY Actively training all the time in a barrack I've created for them.

Once in a while I take a look at that barrack to see how's everything going. Lately I've started to strangely note that some of the recruits in there are not swordsdwarves. Out of nowhere I've seen macedwarves, marksdwarves and even fresh clueless recruits (that know nothing about weapons) appear.

I didn't know what to think of this exactly. This strange behaviour became even more notorious when my squad militia commander became a fresh rookie recruit, with dabbling swords skills and dabbling discipline; being most qualified in dodging: an adequate dodger.

Now, I'm sure I didn't put that milk-drinking idiot to command my squad, and I'm sure all those changes weren't made by me (at least, not consciously). So...

Is it possible that the game is making those changes itself? Is it possible that the dwarves are so exhausted of being in the same team, constantly training, that they decided to drop-off to continue with their normal lifes? And that the game immediately replaced them?

Thanks in advance. :-\

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Do recruits in my squad rotate?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:01:43 pm »

They don't rotate, but if you leave recruits to pick their own weapons they'll trade them out whenever they feel like it (or whenever a slightly more valuable weapon is available) unless you designate a specific weapon or type of weapon. It's also possible that you have multiple squads training in the same room and just forgot, but if they're recruits the first seems more likely, once they get to a decent skill level (I think it's "Adequate") they will only pick out weapons that they have skill with, unless none they can use are available.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:33:32 pm »

Dwarves in the military, who have nothing better to do, will sometimes choose to go and train, irrespective of if they're set to train or what ever.  They should be doing 'individual drill' in this case.

Urist McMontesOca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:20 pm »

They don't rotate, but if you leave recruits to pick their own weapons they'll trade them out whenever they feel like it (or whenever a slightly more valuable weapon is available) unless you designate a specific weapon or type of weapon.

Well, that's the problem. In the military screen, I've set that every dwarf in the Squad uses a "short sword".

It's also possible that you have multiple squads training in the same room and just forgot, but if they're recruits the first seems more likely, once they get to a decent skill level (I think it's "Adequate") they will only pick out weapons that they have skill with, unless none they can use are available.
Dwarves in the military, who have nothing better to do, will sometimes choose to go and train, irrespective of if they're set to train or what ever.  They should be doing 'individual drill' in this case.

Actually I've got only two squads: one is the Fortress guard (all equipped with crossbows) and the other one is the aforementioned All-swordsdwarves squad. In said barracks, only the sword squad is set to train.

Now, the problem is not that there are other dwarves of other squads going to train there. The thing is that in the very Sword Squad I've created myself to have only sword dwarves or simple peasants (which later evolved to, at least, Novice Swordsdwarf), suddenly started having, out of nowhere, macedwarves or even marksdwarves.

Now, that doesn't mean that they were training with maces or crossbows, just that this was their main fighting ability, when previously all dwarves has been, at least, Novice Swordsdwarf.

Later, the militia commander, which I've previously set myself to be a Competent Swordsdwarf (and which I cannot remove from the squad, because the game doesn't allow to remove a commander from a squad that has subordinates) became a Dabbling Dwarf in all fighting abilities.

Since I don't think he's got a downgrade, for whatever reason, I think he might have been replaced by a dwarf with inferior fighting abilities. But I don't know why. :-\

So, what I'm going to do is simply plain start to check periodically on the squad to see if there have been any changes at all. I don't know what else I could do.

Anyway, thanks for the help. If I discover anything else, I'll post it. :)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:11:36 pm by Urist McMontesOca »

Urist McMontesOca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:50:46 pm »

Well, I've found the reason for this behaviour, sort off.

When you View Unit and go to Preferences [ v ] - [ p ] (choosing preferably, a dwarf) you'll note that below it's written the names of the squads you've created. If you select one of this squads and press [ Enter ], then the dwarf would be automatically assigned to that squad, replacing the last dwarf there.

This doesn't yet explain why my militia commander was replaced by a green-elf recruit, but it explains the rest.

So, thanks to all those who responded :D. If ever get to discover how the militia commander was replaced I'll post it.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:06:25 am »

Either you replaced him with a mistaken keypress on the military screen, or he died and you filled the vacancy.  He wouldn't spontaneously switch out of the squad without you controlling it.