Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any quick way to create a stockpile with brewable plants only  (Read 2473 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all!

Is there any quick way to create a stockpile with brewable plants only or should I select such stockpile manually every time?

Thanks in advance.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any quick way to create a stockpile with brewable plants only
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:15:35 pm »

Yes, that is the way to create such a stockpile: manually, using custom stockpiles. If you use dfhack, you can then use the copystock command to copy the settings of whatever stockpile the cursor is over, into the custom stockpile setting.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 04:46:55 pm »

if you set it up as a custom stockpile (p-t to set it up, p-c to designate it), all custom stockpiles you designate will be created with those settings until you set up new custom stockpile settings. So you can designate several identical stockpiles however you like them, only setting it up once. But if you have more than one type of custom stockpile, you'll still have to manually set up the stockpile each time you go to designate a new one which is different from the one you most recently designated.

the dfhack solution is definitely more convenient, if you're using dfhack.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:03:49 pm »

If you don't have df hack you can aways save a macro(ctrl + r then ctrl + s) to set the stockpile configuration after you design it...
In a time before time, I had a name.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:25:16 pm »

If you already have stockpiles set up, you can always hit 'q' to view building orders, and then 's' to change the stockpile's settings. Scroll down to "food" press 'b' to block all food types, scroll right to select types of food then down to highlight plants; press 'p' to permit plants in the stockpile. If there are certain plants that you want, then scroll right again and press 'enter' for a highlighted plant to toggle its availability in the stockpile. I usually allow for everything and then deselect the plants I don't want brewed (ie fiber, dye, and flour type plants).

Be warned, this stockpile should be the closest to your brewery or your brewer will still grab plants from the closest stockpile that allows plants. You can guarantee getting around this feature by viewing the building orders (for the stockpile), press 'g' and select the brewery to give to the brewery. But you must ALSO have a furniture stockpile that allows barrels (and/or pots) that also gives to the brewery or the brewer won't be able to find any barrels.

The game has a serious learning curve, but you don't have to rely on third party programs to make it easier to play. Just keep messing with it, rereading the instructions, and eventually it'll all come together. I just recently got mine carts working. They were introduced in 2012 and I'm really embarrassed now.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:43:15 am »

I'm making a guess here that you're trying to prevent your dorfs from cooking the brewable food and running out of booze. My solution to that problem, if it IS that problem: I just tend to turn off cooking of brewable plants in the z-food-fruit menu, myself. Third party add ons aren't something I bother with, so that could be the reason.

I make a huge stockpile for food of all sorts (except seeds), enable barrels, and put kitchens down one side and stills down the other. Whenever we get a largish influx of food (say, elven caravan, or fruit picking season) I check that there aren't any brewable plants with cooking enabled, and then leave 'em to it. After all, roasts and may as well be made of things that can't be brewed, like unicorn livers and mule spleens.

Meanwhile, near my farms, is a huge stockpile of barrel-free seeds, which I often pen a cat over to keep vermin off them. Seems to work. Food gets planted and harvested and brewed, anyhow.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »

Macros are the way to go if you have a detailed custom stockpile you use. Same for soldier uniforms, common bedroom layouts, digging out or building pump stacks, anything you do semi-regularly that uses a bunch of key-presses to get the job done. You can even tidy up the text file it generates to make them run a whole lot quicker. Not for quick things though as the macro loading takes a few keys too.