Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: preparations  (Read 843 times)

Crust13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
preparations
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:28:38 pm »

What are your favorite preparations.  I'm never sure what first skills I should give my dwarves.  They all end up learning something new.  Also, I tend to keep the items I leave with at a minimum.  Only what I need then I just build everything else there.  4 hens and a rooster, dogs, cats.  That's about it.  Are there any specialized set ups?

thanks.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: preparations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:45:03 pm »

My usual setup is a miner, a carpenter/woodcutter, a mason/architect, a grower/brewer who gets butchery and tanning assigned, a grower/cook who gets milking and shearing assigned, a bowyer/woodcrafter, a weapon/armorsmith, and a leatherworker/bonecrafter who gets cheesemaking assigned. As far as items, I take some cats and llamas (an extraordinarily useful animal, they can be sheared, milked, and butchered, and have very modest pasture needs) 2 picks, an axe, 10 of each seed, and 10 units of each type of booze. The rest of the points get spent on equal quantities of cassiterite and tetrahedrite to make bronze.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:56:46 pm »

The embark system used to be gamed to hell and back. I'll see if I can find the thread on it, parts are probably still relevant.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:16:43 pm »

Skimming over my notes I find the following for embark supplies:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... and the following for essential skills :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The embark supplies listed above are cheap enough that you can usually get plenty of supplies, max out your dwarves' skill slots, and still have points left over. I usually try to have 4 pairs of bronze ores, 8 coal (= lots of fuel!), a year supply of lye (1 unit for soap, the rest for fertilizer), 75 units of food, 60 units of booze (or the ingredients to brew them immediately), and a year supply of seeds for two 1x7 farm plots. The rest is a matter of taste (wood vs. sand vs. ores, depending on the embark). I butcher the random stray animals immediately for meat (usually quite a bit of it) and tallow to make that first bar of soap; otherwise you have to pasture and protect them, because you can't butcher them if they starve or die in an ambush.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »

I always start with a proficient mechanic, who I make manager then set to make mechanisms forever, and a proficient weaponsmith/armorsmith.
I sometimes take a proficient siege engineer, if I feel like it.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »

two miners/masons, two woodcuter/carpenters, two farmer/fishermen and 1 engineering/bookeeper/broker. two female cats, 4 female wardogs a pair of pigs and two hens. also complete some leaving equipment. and bring metal bars (y capped embark to 10k points)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:01:12 pm »

I always used to check preferences, and assign weapon/armour smithing do dwarves with appropriate metal/item likes, and after than assign masonry/carpentry using the same principle.

I'd give admin and negotiation admin/negation skills to a dwarf with the least annoying preferences for demands, to encourage that one to get elected mayor.

Non-moodable skills were then paired with moodable ones, for optimum artefact production.

(And I'd follow the same policy to assign labors to migrants).

Recently though I've taken to assigning all labours to all dwarves (except when I get a really good combination of attributes and preferences), because I found I ended up with too many dwarves idling (and all the ones with a particular labour would probably be asleep or eating when I needed them). This way, jobs should get done on time, even if it ends up with a less skilled worker doing it.  (If a particular dwarf gets good at a particular skill I'll change their labours to make them concentrate on it, and use them for high-value tasks, such as steel-working).

As for embark supplies - I used to spend lots of points on skills, and so couldn't bring very much stuff with me.  For my most recent forts I've gone the other way and only bought a few skills, so I can afford to bring lots of ore and other supplies.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »

Five points for all of these.
One dwarf with miner, one with woodcutter,one with grower and planter, one with mason, one with carpenter, and one with brewer and cooking. Sometimes I give the miner fighter and the woodcuts axedwarf. I normally bring 20 seeds of whatever plants I want, three sets of 20 units of food, two sets of forty units of alcohol, 2 copper pickaxes and axes, then some animals. Normally pigs, but I quite like water buffalo even though it takes me too long to set up a good pasture for them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 03:07:40 pm »

Three miners (one Proficient), and one of Mason, Weaponsmith, Carpenter, Grower, all at proficient.

Also brewer, cook, woodcutter, armorsmith, engraver, stoneworker, mechanic, building designer at lower levels.

Always a dwarf with novice social skills and Appraiser to serve as expedition leader and basically each useful noble profession. Also has novice miner and some Diagnostician skill.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 04:21:58 pm »

Eh... never bring a bookkeeper or woodcutter.  One trains easy enough and the other goes quickly enough with low skill- especially now that trees give several units of wood.  Anyone chop down a 3x3 highland tree anytime soon? Takes as long as chopping down a cactus at low levels and gives insane amounts of wood. 

I never bring plump helmets with me on embark.  They are double the cost of other booze plants.  True... the other garden vegetables come in bags and are bugged to not be brewable.  You can dump them out of bags and brew them or do as I started doing in 4.23... bring 7 booze and rely on plant gathering.  Plant gatherers can harvest 100+ plants at a time now.  I tend to bring one profecient (level 5) herbalist and have him immediately harvest a couple plants to brew.  Then I tell him to go buck wild and bring in 100+ more for food/booze.  Combined with butchering my pack animals you don't need to bring ANY food with you.  I only bring the 7 starter booze to tide things over for a few weeks while I get the other booze going. 

I tend to smelt all my own tools and weapons early on.  Bring 1 unit of coke and tons of coal along with some ores.  As has been said, 1 unit of malachite and 1 unit of cassiterite is 8 units of bronze for 12 points.  It only takes 9 bronze and 1 unit of wood/leather to fully equip a dorf (8 for armor, 1 for weapon, and 1 wood/leather for shield).  Thus, you can have a full squad's worth of equipment in 198 units of embark points with 6 units of bronze left over for picks/wood axes.  Add in 10 points for the starter coal (or 3 for starter wood for coal) and then another 6 points for buliding material of forge/smelter.  So, 214 points gets me 10 soldiers worth of bronze equipment and 5 picks/1 woodcutter axes.  I can bring mountains of coal as filler points for further smelting jobs.

To save points... virtually nothing in the starter set needs to brought.  I tend to only bring The starter anvil and maybe some seeds.  Everything else is ditched.  Cloth? Can be grown or sheared.  Food? butchering pack animals and gathering plants.  Tools? I forge my own.  Crutches/wooden items? I make my own or buy from caravans.  Again... plant gathering is SEXY now.  Buchering pack animals is the rest of your food even when it wasn't.  Even if you just get two horses as pack animals thats 60 something units of food.  60 units of food will feed 7 dorfs for an entire year with change.  With migrants that is probably half a year easy.  This gives you more than enough time to gather plants/start farming.  As to plant gathering... in 40.23 I gathered 100 units of plants within the first season with an unskilled plant gatherer on a mountain embark that didn't even have plants on one side of the initial wagon.  Try bringing a skilled herbalist in a region with "thick vegetation.  You'll likely have to cancel orders when he starts moving a crawl with 150 plants in late spring. 

I do like bringing lye though.  Soap is just a PITA to make from scratch.  After butchering pack animals you have tallow to spare, so mix that with some lye you bring and you can get years worth of soap.  I also tend to bring leather to turn into bags asap.  Leather is 5 units each.  The cheapest thread is 6 units and still needs to be turned into cloth first.  I make some leather waterskins/backpacks then churn out 10-20 bags for seeds and quarry bushes/milling.  OR I bring sheep along (less butchering returns than llama/alpaca but cheaper and easier to pasture) and shear them for early cloth. 

The main point of all this early industry is to give something for my dorfs to do while my miners carve out the actual fort.  Even when digging through sand I have time where my other 5 dorfs just sit around playing with themselves.  I'd rather crack the whip and have them churning out equipment, cloth, soap, booze, anything.  I also prefer to dig everything out of stone (Dwarves do not live in sandy caves!!!!).  So once the dining hall and some basic stockpile/workshop space is carved along with a farm (I will dig that out of dirt for ease of use) I start to move everything below ground. This usually is completed in the first year before hte caravan arrives.  I also  tend to plop my first masonry in the dining room to clear the stone out into the tables and other such tid bits. 

Unless you embarked on an evil biome, this is entirely safe to do.  Everything you produce is low-value (yarn, bags, booze, bronze equipment, beds) so you won't be provoking monster attacks or ambushes (although maybe a thief or two).  Once you get settled in your carved out spaces and begin setting up bedrooms and trap-lines (or bridges/other defenses) you can begin cranking up your $$ industries (prepared food from growing shit tons of food is my favorite) and training a military.  I do love trap lines in the caverns and cave croc breeding programs too.  Early miltary can be used to "hunt" critters for food and bones/leather.  This is slower training, but still makes them useful.  Its a way to jump start your military when you still have under 20 dorfs... you still get useful food/resource production out of them while training them on packs of crundles.   

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:02:55 am »

A single Copper Pick, or one Iron Anvil and one Copper Nugget to show off, plus whatever you find uninteresting to make yourself.

On tame embarks you don't even need that, as the wagon comes with 3 wood (for a training axe and infinity wood), plentiful bone bolts, meatstuff for food to trade, tallow for soap, 2 leather for quivers, and some hair for thread at the hospital. Once you kill a few things with all your new wooden crossbows and bone bolts (for more leather quivers), you'll be busy enough without all that digging nonsense.

Should you have the Anvil, max Animal Training, and max Mechanics can earn some early pets, or the Hunting/Archer stuff to speed that hunting along if stuck up top, or at least max Architecture for making a nice trade depot and someone as a good trader so you're rich in the first year rather than the second or third. A good Herbalist brings in time-saving stacks of food, as a Fisher does with Fish, and a good Cook makes you the richer with all of them. If you want your early beds and tables to be nice ones, a Carpenter and Mason will do that.

Immigrants cover everything else, and dabblers train up soon enough where they don't. With the slightly challenging embarks where it rains blistering and vomitous contagion on the walking dead over a salty aquifer, you mostly just want a lot of miners and picks and a more aquifer-piercing and cavern-claiming focus for survival. A couple of well-armoured military types can help, or at least some coal and ore. Oh, and lots of booze, because it might be a while before you have water (in as few barrels as possible, less vomiting saves on booze). A single pick will still get the job done, but getting a start is more down to luck.

But I just use the default. It saves me having to remember to make everything, and the skills are useful enough, except the Jeweller.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:32 am »

I used to take tools and stuff but over time I've used less and less of those and now if I'm embarking somewhere with freshwater and plants I take nothing but ore. For skills I take a proficient weaponsmith+armourer, a proficient cook+farmer (who tends to get assigned brewing and plant gathering), a proficient carpenter, a proficient mason, a hunter or miner (depending on my plans), my future militia commander, and a furnace operator+wood burner. I like to get the metalsmithing up and running as early as possible, and then in turn getting my military training with good weaponry and armour as soon as possible. It's very relaxing to have a Swordmasters within Autumn of the second year.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 07:47:03 am »

My standard loadout is 1 Proficient Miner, 1 Adequate Metal skills, 1 Proficient Stonecraft/Gems, 1 proficient Farmer/Herbalist, 1 proficient Brewer/Cook (who gets Butcher & Tanner enabled right after embark), 1 proficient Mason with Adequate Mechanic/Architect, and a Novice Carpenter with Novice in Leader/Appraisal/Judge of Intent/Organization to be my Bookie/Broker.

In embarks where I suspect water will be an issue, or I expect to do a lot of digging, I swap out the metals guy for an identical second Miner.

As far as items taken, only 1/2 picks and a single iron anvil.  Everything else can be produced onsite, the hauling creatures can be butchered for food, etc.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.